aperture under ten words

ftops said:
beginning of every james bond movie.

uhm, no, that is actually the inside of the barrel of a gun you are looking through there ... the structure you see is to give the projectile a spin and stabilise its flight ...

beginning of every james bond movie.

went to a bond movie 2 nights ago, and the gun barrel actually really had not too much resemblance of an aperture...

you increase your depth of field. that is all. if your subject of the image is not well focussed, deep depth of field can help to still make it look sharp ... but that does not bring it into better focus ... focus is still off, just you dont realise since it is sharp ;)

Well, technically that is not true, focus is defined as the point at which rays of light converge, however it is also defined as the distinctness or clarity of an image. So, it is true that it increases focus, that is what hyperfocal point is all about.

As far as aperature goes, it works like your iris does, the more light the smaller your iris, the less light the larger your iris.
The iris of the camera.

[removed in order not to cause any confusion :) ]

ok, then we live in totally different definitions... for me focus is always about convergence of light rays.

distinctness/clarity to me is what I call sharpness of an image.

of course when you argue about this whole circle of confusion thing, then you could say hou have an actal depth wich is in focus ... but what would you call the point then, where the circle of confusion is smallest? you must have a special name for that then !?

Hey these aren't words I made up, look to any good photography book or school. That is how focus is defined. Call it whatever you want to, I was just letting the others that are not as familiar with the terms know the correct definition. And again, the circle of confusion when it is smallest is called the circle of least confusion.

I am sorry as I did not want to cause any confusion among anyone.

I am not a photographer so I did not know that those are the hard and sharp definitions in photography (never saying you made them up anyway).

So I better go quiet on this photography-tech things for the future.

Hey these aren't words I made up, look to any good photography book or school. That is how focus is defined. Call it whatever you want to, I was just letting the others that are not as familiar with the terms know the correct definition. And again, the circle of confusion when it is smallest is called the circle of least confusion.

Gee whiz lady I never knew those fancy words myself. I just kinda make it up as I go along. (not a word Mark)

I guess that is what a fancy photography education gets you, you know alot of technical stuff but it doesn't help you to get the jobs. Only experience and making great images does that.

Aperture Haiku

The hole in the lens
it determines depth of field
and the exposure.

I guess that is what a fancy photography education gets you, you know alot of technical stuff but it doesn't help you to get the jobs. Only experience and making great images does that.

Now I finally know why I'm going to die poor. I didn't have either the fancy education or the ability to get the job. I just had one hell of a lot fun.

Sorry Lady P, I just love your posts I can't help it.

Most reactions

Back