Aperture XMP

tenlientl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I use Lightroom and was introduced to XMP. I love it, since I can transfer my .NEF into another hard drive and be able to get it back with changes to the .NEF intact.

My aunt plans to use Aperture 3 and we're wondering if it's possible to do something like that.

Basically, it's:

1) Import .NEF from memory card to laptop
2) Work on .NEF then export as .JPEG
3) Keep .JPEG on laptop and back it up to another hard drive
4) Move .NEF to another hard drive
5) Retrieve .NEF in case I need it again and still have the changes like Lightroom's XMP.

Thanks.

edit: oh yea, in case anyone knows. how much photos till lightroom lags? i hear 20,000? i'm not sure if i should start using different catalogs organized by years (2008-2009???).

XMP (Extensible Metadata Platform) is a standard, created by Adobe Software Inc.

Serialized XMP can be embedded into a wide variet of popular file formats, without breaking their readability by non-XMP-aware applications. Most RAW converter applications speak fluent XMP.

Often the XMP file is stored as a side-car file (not embedded in the RAW dtat file) and must be copied and moved right along with the original RAW data file. If tjhe XMP sode-car files is not moved it looks like your edits are gone, but they're not, they are still back in the old file (as long as they weren't deleted. If they aren't retrievable from the recycle bin, they are toast).

I have never used Aperture.

edit: oh yea, in case anyone knows. how much photos till lightroom lags? i hear 20,000? i'm not sure if i should start using different catalogs organized by years (2008-2009???).

Don't believe everything you hear. Yes, organizing by year is good.

Lightroom's main purpose in life is to be a very robust digital image database manager.

Lightroom was designed by Adobe for professional photographers that may produce as many as 20,000 images a month.

I don't wanna create a new thread, but does Lightroom's Collections get saved in Catalogs? Would my Collections be intact if I transfer Catalogs?

Thanks. If not, I might use iPhoto for organizing (events, christmas, trips, etc.). I have my RAW and JPEG categorized in dates.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back