apertureand exposure compensation confusion

jarg007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I understand that adjusting the fstop or aperture controls the depth of field but does the aperture also control the exposure compensation. Im watching a video and its saying the +/- button is the exposure compensation and is also controlled by aperture. This is confusing to me because it seems then that the aperture is responsible for exposure compensation +/- button as well as depth of field fstop but i dont get how it controls both.

The aperture effects exposure by varying the amount of light admitted to the sensor as it's size changes in relation to varying the 'f-stop'. DoF is a physical result of the diamater of the aperture (vis, when you squint you can sometimes focus on something closer than you normally could). Therefore, when using exposure compensation by aperture, you're changing the exposure by admitting more or less light by making the the 'hole' through which light must pass larger or smaller, and, at the same time, changing the depth of field.

It can do but so can ISO or shutter speed.

Exposure compensation is not a seperate way to control exposure, just your camera will decide which value to adjust depending on what mode you are in.

but how come i can change the +/- exposure meter without changing the fstop? I adjust it but the fstop doesn't change, shouldn't they be linked if it is just one aperture unit? That is what im having trouble with.

It can do but so can ISO or shutter speed.

Exposure compensation is not a seperate way to control exposure, just your camera will decide which value to adjust depending on what mode you are in.
ahhh thanks that makes sense then. So it could be adjusting the iso or shutter speed .

If you are in aperture priority mode then yes. If you are in shutter priority then your camera may adjust your aperture or ISO to get whatever compensation you've dialed in. How it decides to do this will depend on the camera make and how its been programmed. I think Canon tend to adjust the aperture or shutter speed unless the shutter speed is below 1/60th or your widest aperture (then it will start to bump up the ISO).

As tirediron points out this can affect your depth of field if your camera adjusts your aperture, blur if it adjusts shutter speed or noise if adjusting ISO.

I understand that adjusting the fstop or aperture controls the depth of field but does the aperture also control the exposure compensation. Im watching a video and its saying the +/- button is the exposure compensation and is also controlled by aperture. This is confusing to me because it seems then that the aperture is responsible for exposure compensation +/- button as well as depth of field fstop but i dont get how it controls both.

You are running into one of the "gotcha" areas of learning from YouTube. You are also using a "single button" camera, in which ONE control button actually performs TWO, DIFFERENT operations. The same, exact button controls both the aperture, AND the exposure compensation feature...

Did you happen to see if the D3300 has the Guide Mode for the rear LCD, to explain what the buttons and settings do? See this:
Nikon D3300 Review Digital Photography Review

Now, if you want to adjust the exposure comp, you MUST press and hold down the +/1 button while doing so!!!!

You are running into one of the "gotcha" areas of learning from YouTube. You are also using a "single button" camera, in which ONE control button actually performs TWO, DIFFERENT operations. The same, exact button controls both the aperture, AND the exposure compensation feature...

Did you happen to see if the D3300 has the Guide Mode for the rear LCD, to explain what the buttons and settings do? See this:
Nikon D3300 Review Digital Photography Review

Now, if you want to adjust the exposure comp, you MUST press and hold down the +/1 button while doing so!!!!
im actually watching the udemy video on the nikon cameras that is highly rated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back