apology

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i think i need to apologize to anyone i've offended by my post in danalec99's thread. the purpose of the post was just to say that other's opinions shouldn't affect your work. if you like what you post, it doesn't matter what others think. my wife reminded me that everyone has a different level of appreciation for different things. there's a lot of things i enjoy that she doesn't and vice versa. therefore, i should never call anything 'crap.' there's a lot of posts out there that i think are great that the photographer didn't like much too.

anyway, i said what i said and i cant take it back, but i do regret it. i need to think before putting pen to paper in the future.

I for one didn't think you needed to apologize. You just pointed out something in the TPF. And that is that people have different opinions and most of us are pretty nice people. To point out something is crap may not be the most eloquent way of saying it, but it very well could be crap. :)

If it brings about further discussion, it's not that bad.

No offense taken here. Your apology is accepted, though - in the spirit in which you offered it. :thumbup:

It's all good. Peace! :)

I would also say that there is no apology required. I believe what you said is often quite true and it was very valid. Honestly, I'd like to see the critique here step up to the "next level" (for lack of a better term). People tend to be more polite than needed in that section and, in the end, it really doesn't help the photographer. If you like the work, by all means say so, but if you think it isn't that great or you see good room for improvement, give the constructive criticism!

Let me repeat the key word there: constructive!

"That sucks!" doesn't get the job done, but "I don't care for this shot due to the following factors..." would be helpful. Also, "great shot" doesn't help much, but "I really like this shot due to the following factors..." is a big help. I catch myself giving out too many "great shot!" messages as it is, please don't feel the need for the rest of you to add to them! :lol:

Jon Mikal,

You already know my thoughts on the matter, so I'll just recap here.

I think there are many opportunities for photographer growth that slide by because people here tend to slap a "Awesome job" on most shots in the gallery. Which I find unfortunate. For example, my last posting of photos was one of the first times that I've tried to control ALL aspects of the image, and would have loved a serious critque....

Conversely, I think there are many photogs here who may not have the emotional maturity to take a sincere critique of their images.

It's a tough problem, being on the internet, and lacking all the nonverbal channels of communication to reassure people that, though I may not like your image, I do value you as a person and a photog.

Anyway, for those that comment on my stuff, please, I'd love to hear any and all thoughts on them!

I have absolutely no problem with anything JM said - it was, in fact, a pleasure to read such honesty and what was written was no more than the truth. You have nothing to apologise for Jon.

Chase said:
I'd like to see the critique here step up to the "next level" (for lack of a better term). People tend to be more polite than needed in that section and, in the end, it really doesn't help the photographer.

I think Motcon was onto something with his chatroom critiques, but it was just too hard for some folks to connect. A chatroom would allow more normal conversation. I agree with Hertz, I usually begin by asking questions so I know what the photographer is trying to accomplish.

JonMikal- I don't think you said anything out of line or rude. You commented on what I've heard called "camera club malaise". I think it happens everywhere photographers gather. :)

You are a nice man JM. No need for an apology! :)

If I posted a crap photo in critique I would hope that someone out there would be honest enough to tell me! And on the same note if I see something I think is crap I hope I'll be honest enough to say so too!

Whats the point in letting a bad photograpic technique slip by to go off & take more crap photos? Who does that help!

I think it's great your wife is there on your shoulder to re-direct your thoughts sometimes! My wife does that sometimes and though my male pigheadedness takes offence I do appreciate and need it! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back