Apple announces Macbook .... thoughts?

Oh yeh.... one thing I forgot to mention....

I know a lot of traveling businessmen that have been itching for someone to actually create a UMPC (ultra-mobile-PC) that is actually still practical to use. For them... lightness is as important as the ultra light carbon tripod for the traveling photographer. The problem is that each UMPC in the market has always had some serious issues in terms of practicality (battery, small keyboard, small screen, etc). This just might be the next niche market for Apple....

only back to defend myself since some people wanna get personal now... I'm not a "closet" mac user, and i dont secretly want one. If they were affordable i'd consider, (not an Air though, i watch dvds)

Well technically you can plug a port in for CDs DVDs (I am computer illiterate so I am not trying to feign a deep interest in this conversation) so... sure it might be some extra $ but for the average user who is likely to buy this (probably more of the younger crowd who don't put high demands on their computers) that isn't exactly a huge set back.

I recently switched to Mac (last year) and I will admit in the first week I wanted to defenestrate my macbook, however I am now officially in the process of purchasing a desktop so... I guess you can call me converted :lol:

I would rather buy a macbook. I change batteries often when on the road and constantly upload Cds. So i will give up 1 more inch in my bag than have to deal with no cd drive and the problems when doing everything wirelessly.

only back to defend myself since some people wanna get personal now... I'm not a "closet" mac user, and i dont secretly want one. If they were affordable i'd consider, (not an Air though, i watch dvds)

I didn't know being called a mac user could be seen as a personal attack.

It WILL sell, no doubt. I would like to see one, and have been thinking more and more about moving to Mac, but the cost is a bit much, for now.

Once one is out, copycats are soon to follow.

All just a sign of the future.

that much is true, Apple has now become an industry "trend setter" and I've been waiting for solid state hard drives to not only come down in price but become more prevalent. . .with this transition, it's sure to happen, and I'm stoked. . .

I've been thinking about a replacement for my home laptop, it's almost 6 years old now, not even an intel duo or centrino, just a standard old school intel pentium chip! This would justify the jump, but not before the price drops, $3k is WAYYYYY to steep . ..

And I've also decided to NOT upgrade to Vista anything, Microsoft has gone from industry standard, to industry catch up when compared to Apple. . .funny how things flipped in such a short amount of time. . .

I still prefer to run Win2000 Pro. Smaller, faster and more stable than XP or Crapsta. I prefer my PC hardware. Easier, cheaper, more available. OTOH, now that the Mac OS is Intel compliant, if it were ported to the PC I'd probably run it. At least I would look at it.

well, I think its worth the money... and the fact that it doesn't have an optical drive and 1 USB it's awesome. Its the first of many laptops that will come like this one... its the future, bluetooth and wireless. I've a sony laptop and my optical drive broke down like 6 months ago... I though I was going to die without it and right now I dont even care... I dont use it... I download all my software from the internet and upload the backups... also have an external drive that works through the bluetooth so what the use of it...

I think it has a very specific market. As a student who lugs my laptop around for 6-9 hours a day just for taking notes, etc. a lightweight laptop like that is pretty attractive.

I used Windows for years before I decided to finally change to Mac, but I'm glad I finally made the change. Not because my computer makes me look cool, but because it's very streamlined and there are very few, if any, virii out there that I have to deal with. I had to reformat my PCs like once every six months from both virus problems and code degredation. I told myself, when it came time to buy a laptop for school, I wouldn't be caught dead with a PC.

Another good thing is, although Apple is a money hungry business like everyone else out there, they don't come with all this garbage software that annoys the hell out of you asking you to upgrade to an actual working version every 6 minutes.

let me ask you this what product of apples have you ever heard of NOT selling well? trust me it will sell and it will sell big. the lack of optical drive, meh so what so much is available online or use the remote drive feature. not to mention at that thin why wouldnt you bring it everywhere? I would LOVE that computer (at about a 400$ price tag) to cary around to class with me.

infact that is another audience this may target, a soon to be college student who already has a desktop and wants a notebook, ya its pricey but it'll drop soon i'm sure and if not its sure worth the price tag for the look.

I applaud you apple well done again.

What about the Apple TV? Most people haven't heard about it and its available for purchase right now!

What about the Apple TV? Most people haven't heard about it and its available for purchase right now!

Oh! You just reminded me, I have one. HAHA. I forgot all about it.

It's just sitting up on a shelf collecting dust, poor Apple TV. Maybe I'll get more use of it though, now that Apple has updated the software to a point where it doesn't suck. I really forgot I had one, that is pretty bad.

I'm putting in an order for a MacBook Air soon by the way, and I'm pretty excited.

that much is true, Apple has now become an industry "trend setter"
Just look at the Zune, or the newer smaller Zune that looks just like a first gen Nano.

Apple sell a "image." The air says sleek but bold. I could see it matching very well with Mercedes cars and Armani suits.

Just look at the Zune, or the newer smaller Zune that looks just like a first gen Nano.

Apple sell a "image." The air says sleek but bold. I could see it matching very well with Mercedes cars and Armani suits.

Look at all the phones that are designed similarly to the iPhone!

The industry is full of 'borrowing' ideas, and Apple seems to be coming up with some good ones in recent years. I mean, the iPod, as far as I'm concerned, brought Apple back in a big way. I mean, a lot of people bought Macs after using an iPod because it was just so simple and functional.

Most reactions

Back