Apple Aperture users?

I think you're making the right move saving for photo equipment rather than processing software. My first serious digital camera was a 2005 Canon 20D. I felt compelled to shoot RAW with significant editing on every image. I have evolved from the prosumer cameras to flagship FF to MFT and now I am very happy with the niche Fuji system. In my opinion, modern digital cameras are soooo good, the metering and color balance and lenses are sooooo good ... that, (this week), I've decided to shoot only JPEG. I most likely will shoot RAW for theatre productions, as the lighting gets all weird all the time. But other that that, I'll let Fuji do the heavy lifting.

I recently shot a parade for a local city. I shot RAW. The files are so 'clean' ... so spot on that I can just do a RAW-JPEG conversion and hand them only to the City and they would be quite happy. But all photos can use a little burning here, dodging there, a slight tweak in curves, et al ... but the SOOC images were 90% - 95% good to go.

The moral of the story is for what I shoot and how I shoot, processing is becoming less and less important because the newer cameras are exceptionally smart and sophisticated.

If you more interest in digital artistry than digital photography ... then yeah, you'll need layers and high-horsepower, graphic oriented programs like Photoshop ... but, for a former photojournalist like moi, I'd rather put my monies into photo hardware.

Most reactions

Back