Apple for $500 only!!!

Awesome! But you know what that usually means, the PC makers will come up with lower prices for PC laptops. In any case, it's good news for the consumers.

Dollar PCs ?! :D

I don't know a thing about Apple's, but isn't that just a stripped down system? I thought you could get PC's like that already for similar money?

jadin said:
Mac hardware + linux = me likey

Only problem is _most_ video games for computers come only on wintel :?

That is slowly changing, but it is just that... slow.

If you get a Mac you can run SoftWindows and the Mac can then play PC games. Works for me... 8)

In case you haven't seen it, Apple announced a headless Mac for $499. Steve Jobs called it a BYO DKM. Bring your own Display, Keyboard and Mouse.

I just finished watching the Stevenote, err... Keynote and the thing is tiny.

From the spec sheet

Size and weight
Height: 2 inches (5.08 cm)
Width: 6.5 inches (16.51 cm)
Depth: 6.5 inches (16.51 cm)
Weight: 2.9 pounds (1.32 kg)

You can go here for everything you wanted to know. Don't be afraid. Leave the dark side for a better life.... or at least a better computing experience. ;)

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Hertz van Rental said:
If you get a Mac you can run SoftWindows and the Mac can then play PC games. Works for me... 8)

You can forget about that on this box. That thing is just to slow as to have any use with it other than surfing the net, writing an email or a simple test document.

Daniel said:
Hertz van Rental said:

You can forget about that on this box. That thing is just to slow as to have any use with it other than surfing the net, writing an email or a simple test document.

Mac mini houses a 1.25 or 1.42GHz G4 processor, 40 or 80GB hard drive, a slot-loading CD-R/DVD-ROM optical drive, 256MB DDR SDRAM and ATI Radeon 9200 graphics chip with 32MB dedicated DDR SDRAM

I would argue that you couldn't run softwindows. At these speeds on a G4 would and slapping softwindows on that you would probably be running windows to an equivilant P4 at 1.8Ghz. The 32mb video might slow you down for the Hard core gamer as well as the 256MB ram but I have no problem playing BF 1942 or Vietnam on a machine with those specs.

MDowdey said:
hahaha...but definately no doom 3 or half life 2.

md

Moot point, who would want to play those anyway ;) . Furthermore, these are still going to be superior for photo and video editing to any PC. I just beefed up a system with 1gb of ram and got the price up to $1200.

oh lets see...me and 50 million other people would like to play those. but i see your point, to each his own. i LOVE war games, but first person shooters always come first for me.

i just spent near 500 bucks on a video card and now, and only now, i can run half life 2 and doom 3

md

tmpadmin said:
...as well as the 256MB ram...

tmpadmin said:
Furthermore, these are still going to be superior for photo and video editing to any PC.

MacOSX hardly runs on 256MB, how are you supposed to edit a photo with it?

The box is great for schools, or people who surf the net and don't want to bother with drivers and stuff, but beyond that it's specced to low imo...

MDowdey said:
oh lets see...me and 50 million other people would like to play those. but i see your point, to each his own. i LOVE war games, but first person shooters always come first for me.

i just spent near 500 bucks on a video card and now, and only now, i can run half life 2 and doom 3

md

i get alot of flak from julz for this, for playing games, alot of people see it pointless for some reason, i just see it as entertainment, something you can get lost in for a few hours and forget the world, its a nice escape.

and it doesnt involve destroying your body through drugs etc...

Most reactions

Back