apples is not as smart as I thought"Aperture"

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by nikon90s, Dec 9, 2005.

1. nikon90s

nikon90s TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a Imac G5 1.8 that is not a year old yet and I was thinking about getting Aperture. But you need a better video card then comes with a one year old computer and as you know you can't change the video card on a iMac. Anyone else find this to be a bad move? Looks like they are heading down the Bill gates way of thinking, lets make a great program and make people spend a bunch more to get it to work.:thumbdown:

2. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I have to say that imac's are pretty hearty machines. Aperture seems like a good program. I am not sure if Aperture is even shipping yet. If you are on the fence then do not make any hasty decisions. Wait until it has been out a couple of months so you can test drive it. Consider saving the extra 300 for Adobe CS you get a lot more programs that may valuable to your lab down the road.

3. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They are.

I think, at the end of the day, one will have Aperture and PS on the computer.

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Looking at the specs I don't feel this to be the case.
    http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs.html
    There are rather a lot of video cards that will run it and a lot of them are just basic.
    Most software runs better if you have high spec hardware. Aperture appears to be aimed at the pro market, and anyone who uses a Mac professionally will tend to go for the pro Macs which are easily upgradeable.
    I don't see anything wrong with new software requiring new technology. It's called 'progress' I think.

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I think that is too much money to spend. Aperture's 500 dollar price tag is tough. I do not think people can afford both. Let alone computer capacity.

Aperture's light table and archive features are something Adobe neglected. CS provides text,web,pdf design.

I think you will have to consider (as always) the work that you do.

Personally; I wish Aperture came out years ago. I do a basic edit and call it good. CS comes in handy for promo material, but that only happens once a year.

6. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

elements is always there as a cheap alternative for photographers if they dont require all the fancy text, web and design options. It might be all most people need

7. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit