Apples, Oranges or Kiwis?

deudeu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my B-Day is coming soon, and I figured I was going to buy a lens for myself because I have been nice all year.

Anyways, after quite a bit of research I have lowered down my options to three fixed focal lenses:

Sigma 15 mm f2.8 diagonal fisheye.

Pentax DA 21mm f3.2 limited.

Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro.

Those lenses are probably all going to make it to my bag eventually, but I am wondering which one I should purchase first.
So far, the Sigma looks like it is going to be the one because I have found a pretty sweet deal on a used one.
But it is a fisheye and considering my current lineup, is it smart to purchase a specialty lens?
The Pentax is a beautiful little lens, and it would be a great walk around lens, but it is pretty close to my 28mm prime, so there is no rush for that focal length.
And for the tamron, it could be used for macro, moderate telephoto, and for portrait, but it's a focal length I am not too familiar with, and as I do mostly cityscape pictures, I don't know If i would use it much...

So what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Does anyone have some experience with one of those lenses and can recommend or advise me against any of these?

Thank in advance you for your time and advices!

I can't speak for any of those lenses in particular, but looking at your current kit list, I would suggest either a 12-24 range wide zoom or a 50 - 150+ tele zoom for versatility (Not recommending specific lenses, just ranges). You're already well covered in the mid-range. If it was me, I would go for the tele-range simply because you can always stitch a couple of images together to get a wider angle, but there's no substitute for telephoto if you don't have it.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't do zooms. The price you have to pay to get good IQ is just insane.

I bought the primes I have because i know that I can use them at any aperture and produce good pictures. With a zoom, it all depends on the focal length, whether you are in the sweet spot, the right aperture... In the end, you don't miss a shot, but most are just OK.

I want sharpness, I want a beautiful bokeh, I want good colors and contrast, and I don't want to spend $2000! So I want fixed focal length!

It's going to be apples: the Sigma is on the way. I just couldn't pass a very clean lens at $200 less than the cheapest I have found on Ebay!

Most reactions

Back