Applying for High School Yearbook

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Redwookie, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Redwookie

Redwookie TPF Noob!

Hi, ive been reading and admiring alot of the great posts and shots on this forum for some time now and been experimenting with photography myself the past few months. Ive decided I would like to try to get on my High School year book team and am required to submit 4 photos. 2 of them needed to be action shots. Mainly im looking for any comments if I should try for something diffrent or use these photo's in my application.

(If I hosted these wrong or they are too big please let me know this is my first time posting)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the help and comments.

2. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You might want to show people instead since that is what you see in a yearbook.

Welcome to the forum

3. Ranger

Ranger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Gosh Im trying out for yearbook and I have to write essays! Anyways, I think that DeepSpring is right. Since its for the yearbook you will be taking pictures of people and sports teams maybe you should send in atleast 1 or 2 shots of people.

4. BAB

BAB TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes definately, you need people photos. As for action photos, I would shoot some sports and some human interest photographs. Whenever you put together a portfolio for a job or to sell your skills, consider your audience and look at what work has done before, then you can tailor your submissions appropriately. Good luck to you.

5. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    WOW I am impressed with all your year book requirments. My schools yearbook is a piece of garbage and no one in the class icluding the teacher cares. I'm not in the yearbook class but a lot of people know I go to a lot of the games and events just to take pictures for fun. They asked me for some pictures and on several occasions I mus have burned them over 200 shots on several dvds.

It's about a month ago and suddenly all these people start coming to me asking for pics. At least 4 different people on the yearbook came asking for some pictures because they were sloppy, didn't take their own, and apparently lost mine. I found it extremely disrespectful and unprofessional and told them no you can't have anything else of mine and if I find that you took any pics from my site or myspace it would be a violation of my copyrights to all the pictures.

The yearbook, instead of coming out at the end of this year so all the seniors can enjoy it and have their friends sign it, is now coming out from last I herd some time in July. Just glad it isn't going to be mine :)

Ok sorry for off topic rant :)

But yeah your shots..You might want to try and get 2 actions shots of people to show you are able to shoot sports (which is a big part of any yearbook). 1 shot in an event type setting, something like a dance or club day w/e your school has, and 1 more shot of something very artistic to show you are able to think a little bit outside the box.

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

While 1 shot of the dogs you have included here might be o.k. I would only include 1 if any I agree with the people here who have said shoot people it might be a good idea to shoot some sporting event as well.

7. Try and turn it into something positive, this will help you later in life as well - not as resume line item, but as an attitude. What I suggest is getting to the teacher in charge, and explaining that you take your photography quite seriously. Explain that you are willing to submit as many pictures as neccessary to get the yearbook done, but that you want a special mention. Then take charge for next year, and say that you would like to be the photography coordinator for the yearbook.

Standing on the sidelines and sniping about what is wrong is easy, that's why everyone does it. Taking charge and volunteering to fix something is much cooler, and much harder.

8. gundy74

gundy74 TPF Noob!

thats pretty intense redwookie. My school has a class for people who want to work on the yearbook. any seniors or juniors who want to take it can sign up, no essays or photos need to be submitted. Im not in the class but i asked the teacher if I could submit pictures. I turned some quality pictures in so now all the kids in the class come to me when they need pictures of something. I dont mind since i enjoy it and im fairly good at it.

The way I see it, in twenty years when i show my kids my yearbook, i want the pictures in it to be the best and its also nice to say that i took it. Rumor is they may use one of my pictures for the cover, but I dont want to be upfront and ask the teacher.

I do get recognition for my work if that makes a difference. Therll be a little paragraph about me and a photo of me taking a photo (ironically enough.

Now that me rant is over, my advice is to get good candid shots of kids being kids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Funky

Funky TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, im in my schools yearbook, its ok but for it to be any good you really need good natural pictures of people, oh and picture number one is really cool, what kind of dog is it. i want one now.

10. JennysLens

JennysLens TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was in yearbook for 3 years in highschool. I was the editor my senior year, so I was the one going through all of those photos and essays.

I agree that you should try to get a couple of shots of people, especially sports. The main thing about sports photography is making sure the ball is in the picture. Go through a reputable paper's sports section, or espn.com and you will only find 1 or 2 pictures without the ball in the photo, and that is usually because the emotion on the players face tells enough of a story or it is a picture of Nascar racing :)

The yearbook is really just a "keepsake newspaper" so go through the newspaper and look at the pictures, this will teach you a lot about the photojournalistic style. Your pictures are looking good, you've got a grasp on technique, so all you really need are the type of photos that would actually be in a yearbook.

Good Luck!

11. Redwookie

Redwookie TPF Noob!

Thanks for all the help so far. Im actualy on the soccer team so if needed I could have a few of my teammates stay after practice and I could get some shots of them playing and taking shots on goal.
    Thanks for the help
    Red.

12. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you could bring your camera to a game and try to shoot when your not playing they would come out much better than if you were "posing action shots"

If your season is already over you might try shooting the practice games I assume you guys play during practice.