Applying for photographer jobs?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I've realized that in order to really grow my business, I need to be able to invest in it (one of those spend money to make money things), and so I am looking for full-time photography employment. Thus, I would make enough money to pay off my debt and start saving capital for my business, and I would still be doing what I enjoy and learning things along the way, ultimately contributing to me and my business.

I've learned a few things about myself that I think will make full time work feasible for me, and am hoping some of you may have advice!

I applied for one position, and was ultimately not selected (not even for an interview), and just applied to another. What sort of things in your experience help you stand out? Anyone here serve as a hiring manager for a staff photographer gig?

Also, anyone have advice or thoughts if they've been a staff photographer?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Staff photographer jobs started disappearing about 15 years ago.
From 4 years ago:
'Chicago Sun-Times' Lays Off Full Photo Staff

Most of the laid off staff photographers started freelance businesses.
Most of those new businesses failed, and those photographers had to seek other employment.

Nat Geo went to only using freelancers about 6 years ago.

I am not aware of any staff photographer jobs.

Staff photographer jobs started disappearing about 15 years ago.
From 4 years ago:
'Chicago Sun-Times' Lays Off Full Photo Staff

Most of the laid off staff photographers started freelance businesses.
Most of those new businesses failed, and those photographers had to seek other employment.

Nat Geo went to only using freelancers about 6 years ago.

I am not aware of any staff photographer jobs.

I've already applied to two. There's a local fashion boutique that hires them time to time, and my college hires them.

The Armed Forces employ thousands of staff photographers and pay very well too.

I actually looked at that... but I don't think that's for me.

actually looked at that... but I don't think that's for me.

Look around at other opportunities but don't completely dismiss this one.
Nobody else on the planet is going to take you, hand you thousands of dollars worth of their gear, teach you how to use it (I know you know how), send you around the world to take photo's and pay you enough to save up for your business.
For a short time (a few years) investment you could be setup quite nicely.

I was a staff photographer for newspapers and wire service. Photojournalism experience and journalism/communications degree was the number one criteria for hiring.

I suggest an internship/externship approach. Your job interview/portfolio needs to reflect the genre you are seeking employment. Trust me, working in the same field which you have a passion for, will quickly tarnish that passion into just another job. (Not quite as just another job, but pretty close.)

Nobody else on the planet is going to take you, hand you thousands of dollars worth of their gear, teach you how to use it (I know you know how), send you around the world to take photo's and pay you enough to save up for your business.
Remember how cool Apocalypse Now is?

Fair enough.. but from what I researched, I would have to go through boot camp and all that, with no guarantee of my desired MO of photography. I don't knock the armed services, but it doesn't really align with my personal beliefs. Although... if things don't work out, I may end up just saying screw it and see what happens.

I was a staff photographer for newspapers and wire service. Photojournalism experience and journalism/communications degree was the number one criteria for hiring.

I suggest an internship/externship approach. Your job interview/portfolio needs to reflect the genre you are seeking employment. Trust me, working in the same field which you have a passion for, will quickly tarnish that passion into just another job. (Not quite as just another job, but pretty close.)

The ones I've looked at so far ask for a variety of work. Meh... I just don't want a desk job, and I need money and feel like I would still be able to learn something.

Fair enough.. but from what I researched, I would have to go through boot camp and all that, with no guarantee of my desired MO of photography. I don't knock the armed services, but it doesn't really align with my personal beliefs. Although... if things don't work out, I may end up just saying screw it and see what happens.

The ones I've looked at so far ask for a variety of work. Meh... I just don't want a desk job, and I need money and feel like I would still be able to learn something.
Research into the company which you are seeking employment should provide an insight what type(s) of photography the company desires. I would think that most companies would want a PR/News type of photo over a Studio/Product type of photog. But I am guessing. Again, an internship, I think would be invaluable.

You can always change your drawers later... think of the images you could get!!
Yeah, I did a shoot where I had to sit on a live bomb and take photos all the way down including the explosion.
The ride was a blast !!

LOL, seriously though, I think I'd rather have a rifle then a camera in many of those situations. Watching a lot of that stuff from CNN. But those type of jobs seems to springboard many into high visibility jobs after that though mostly for the commentator.

Fair enough.. but from what I researched, I would have to go through boot camp and all that, with no guarantee of my desired MO of photography..
Keep in mind, without that training you wouldn't know what the company you were with was doing (moving around etc) and you'd probably be in great danger as you wouldn't know how to properly position and protect yourself if the you know what hits the fan. ie, you'd be a sitting duck with a camera.

I wouldn't mind being a Navy photographer for a short stint.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back