Appraisal for Sigmatel Multi 135mm f1.8

Betsy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I inherited a Sigmatel Multi 135mm f1.8 lens and wanted to know if anyone knows approximately how much it would sell for? It is in perfect condition. I want to keep it for awhile, but may sell if it is worth it. I did some research, but couldn't find another one of these for sale.. so is it rare? Thanks!

The YS mount was used on lenses with several different brandnames, such as Sigmatel, Sun, Lentar, Upsilon, Accura, Spiratone and more...Not all were made by Sigma.
I have a fast Sigmatel Multi Scalematic 135mm f1.8 in M42-YS mount and its actually a very good lens.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The sharpness was a complete surprise to me because I have seen a lot of images from this lens and they all appear soft. f4 is not difficult to focus, and at f4 you are "already" getting that great sharpness.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm not sure who made the Porst because its body design is noticably different to the Sigmatel...Its possible the Porst is the same optically though.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

The sharpness was a complete surprise to me because I have seen a lot of images from this lens and they all appear soft. f4 is not difficult to focus, and at f4 you are "already" getting that great sharpness.

I'm not sure who made the Porst because its body design is noticably different to the Sigmatel...Its possible the Porst is the same optically though.

You are getting unexpected sharpness from the Sigmatel because it is a completely different lens optically to other 135mm f1.8 lenses. It is optically identical only to the Sigma XQ version and the optical design was borrowed and improved by Pentax when they made their SMC-A version.
I put the following diagram together showing the optics of each lens and who made them:
$135mmf18optics.jpg

Are you sure your not confusing the Sigmatel with the Spiratone, Porst, Soligor etc?...You wouldn't be the first to do so as even I did before I thoroughly researched the subject and made my above diagram.
Here are some unsharpened handheld samples...

@f5.6:

sdim3164c2ds7.jpg

And a 100% crop:

sdim3164bcropgm7.jpg

@f4:

sdim3215c2vy3.jpg

And a 100% crop:

sdim3215bcroppc3.jpg

@f4:

sdim3340c2tp1.jpg

And a 100% crop:

sdim3340bcrop2lk3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A spammer dug up this 2009 thread.

The spammer has been permanently banned and all their SPAM posts have been deleted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back