Aquarium Photography

Honu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know these aren't "outdoor" shots but it seemed like the best place for them.

I learned yesterday at the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific that aquarium photography is very difficult! All shots are w/Rebel XSI w/50mm f/1.8 lens. Even with wide aperture and high ISO I still got motion blur on most shots, not to mention glare and reflection from the glass.

Here are a few shots I was pleased with. Thanks for looking!

LongBeachAquarium13.jpg

LongBeachAquarium22.jpg

LongBeachAquarium16.jpg

LongBeachAquarium15.jpg

LongBeachAquarium21.jpg

Thank you very much! Are you underestimating the Rebel perhaps?

No flash on these shots, but I did try using flash on others with mixed results. Glare was from overhead lighting or other people's flashes.

Your shots look pretty good to me.

I also recently had a frustrating photography experience at the aquarium with the same problems that you listed. This is one of the better captures that I got. (Click for larger image.)

Your shots look pretty good to me.

I also recently had a frustrating photography experience at the aquarium with the same problems that you listed. This is one of the better captures that I got. (Click for larger image.)

Thanks! I shot several hundred photos, about 5% were keepers. I couldn't get too many shots of regular fish - they swim too fast!

Nice shot - I tried for the same fish but always got blurry shots.

Very sharp! Great underwater photos.

Yes, public aquarium photography can be quite challenging, but it is fun. I usually only get a couple of keepers. I would use a polarizer to help reduce the reflections, but the light is so limited already, I don't want to give up the two stops. I usually wind up mashing the front of my lens against the tank. Since I bought Noiseware, I tried cranking my ISO up a bit, but have more experimenting to do. You did a wonderful job with the ones you have posted. I love your seahorse!

Compared to my recent outing, you did great. Very sharp compared to mine.

Number 4 looks a little blurred to me.. excellent images even so. I used to love my EOS 400D (that's what we brits call the Rebel) with the 50mm f/1.8 which is a brilliant lens, that lens gives such lovely images. I ran too fast to catch the sun coming up and forgot to zip up my lens bag and now it's gone, I could cry :'(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back