3727820849_f16c8cbd93_o.jpg

ISO 100
1/6"
F/4.5
37mm (18-55mm)
Handheld
3725155873_1012165d5b_o.jpg

Hi Bitter,
Beautiful church. I would be able to spend all day there shooting different angles. These would benefit a lot from a tripod and a longer depth of field. I wonder about the over exposure of the light from the chandeliers in the first photo. Can anyone comment on whether these would look better if shot with a narrower aperture? I've noticed that streetlights in night city scapes often give this same unfortunate effect and I've wondered about how to avoid it.

not really feelin 1 & 2...however i like #3 a lot! love the patterns. beautiful church!

After looking again at #2, I wonder if you could have benefitted from the short depth of field if you would have moved closer to the details on the sides of the pews. The third pew from the back looks like it is lit enough that you could focus on that and maintain the altar in the background... just a thought...

Archery?

#2 is a little blurry,i really like #1
Archery. You no like my sense of humour?
And it kills me that #2 is blurry.
This trip taught me...no matter what...carry my freekin' tripod.
We were to far from the car to go back and get it. These were my first shots in churches, and I love the light available, so I will definately do more (with a tripod).

Hi Bitter,
Beautiful church. I would be able to spend all day there shooting different angles. These would benefit a lot from a tripod and a longer depth of field. I wonder about the over exposure of the light from the chandeliers in the first photo. Can anyone comment on whether these would look better if shot with a narrower aperture? I've noticed that streetlights in night city scapes often give this same unfortunate effect and I've wondered about how to avoid it.
Yeah...The lights were killin' me. I didn't even think about a smaller aperture. Mostly because of the handholding.

Thanks for the comments so far. I really was trying for that solemn feel, with that warm light.

3723632824_d4288b1b40_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hi David,
I love church pictures. These are no exception. You did a nice job. My only complaint is that I wish there was more light near the ceiling in #1 and #3. I just feel like I want to see the detail near the top of the image too. Do you think a flash bounced off the ceiling above you would have helped? Just a thought. That might not be the look you were after at all. Anyway, I love #2. It's beautiful.

I think you did well in capturing the solemn feeling. I like #1, #2 is a bit out of focus, but still nice composition wise and I like the light falling across the floor. #3 is absolutley gorgeous!

BTW - liked the title.;)

And it kills me that #2 is blurry.
This trip taught me...no matter what...carry my freekin' tripod.
You might want to consider a monopod too...a little easier to carry around.

Or pick up a lightweight tripod that isn't a burden to carry around with you. And use a carrying strap so you don't have an extra bag to get in your way.

I notice that in #3 (my fav BTW) there is sosme forshortening due to your standing on the floor. you might consider fixing that in PS.

nice stuff,
Jerry

Hi Linda!

"that might not be the look you were after at all"
Exactly.
Creative exposure.
My big gripe is that the chandaliers are blown.
If you compare #1 to #2, you can see in #2 that it is brighter, but also that the light on the left behind the pipes is starting to blow, as are the pipes on the right and the stained glass. I think would have been a great HDR subject though. What gets me, what excites me about the image (#2) is that there is so much subtle detail in the pipes...all the curvy wavy lines the gold leaf makes. The strong verticals, the balance of the horizontals. The framing of the Rose window. The arch, that has (enough) detail to catch you, but helps lead you back. My favorite thing is the falloff around that arch. I think it's sexy.

But having said all that, I am buying a flash, and will experiment that way, but I love dark. I love the feeling darkness gives. I'll probably use a flash to highlight the dark ;)

Samanax, my tripod has a center pole that is a monopod :)
I just have to carry my crap with me. I even bought a back pack, that has straps on the bottom to attach the tripod :meh:. I hate carrying stuff, I tend to put all me lenses in my cargo shorts pockets, and I just have to stop that, and stop being so stubborn.

smn_xps, I don't think you mean foreshortening. I think it's barrel distortion. I shot this from the balcony.

If anyone wants to debate perfect exposure vs. creative exposure, I am game. :mrgreen:

Well...off to photography club!

Love your shots Bitter........3 is fav. Funny how I m not that into churches but can enjoy pictures of them....;)

Well...off to photography club!

I'm so jealous, I wish I had a photography club!! Oh, how great that would be to have an excuse to leave the kids with the husband and go talk photos.

Oh, and I get it about your "creative" exposure. I always love your pictures. Nice work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back