Architectural Night Shot

HogHunter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is my first post of an image. I used to be into photography 25 years ago. I have recently started shooting again. Be honest. The picture was taken on a tripod with a Canon Digital Rebel.

southtrust.jpg

I'm a sucker for night shots so of course I like this pic :wink: f/18 @ 1.3sec huh? f/22 @ 2sec or f/16 @ 1sec just wasn't good enough? Damn new fangled cameras and there own exposures :p

Seriously though, it's a good capture. Really like how each side of the building is evenly lit. Not everyday (night) can you find that without the neighboring buildings ruining it for you.

Where you from?

you have yourself an optical illusion here. It could be cropped a little tighter.

If you scroll the top 1/3 from the bottom of your screen to the top of your screen, the structure will appear to move closer to you.

Great shot.

canonrebel said:
If you scroll the top 1/3 from the bottom of your screen to the top of your screen, the structure will appear to move closer to you.

LOL, i've seen that optical illusion before... here (not my photo). very cool

nice photo. i'm not a photo guru, but if it's f/18, shouldn't the top of the building be way out of focus? :scratch:

malachite said:
I'm a sucker for night shots so of course I like this pic :wink: f/18 @ 1.3sec huh? f/22 @ 2sec or f/16 @ 1sec just wasn't good enough? Damn new fangled cameras and there own exposures :p

Actually, I took a bunch of shots bumping the aperture with each shot and trying multiple exposures. This was the one that was lit, focused and framed the best.

Where you from?

Jacksonville, Florida

canonrebel said:
you have yourself an optical illusion here. It could be cropped a little tighter.

I considered cropping it tighter on the sides and up from the bottom just a bit to remove the small branch.

I like the crop as it is, Cropping tighter would make it cramped IMHO.

f/18 is a huge depth of field, where almost everything will be in focus. f/1.2 is tiny making the background blur and probably a lot of the subject ;)

(I only recently learned that, I always thought it was the opposite, f/1 being a ton of the photo in focus, but I was wrong)

yeah, i figured it out :roll: silly backwards numbers
where is that building, btw? it looks a little like a beach hotel

StvShoop said:
where is that building, btw? it looks a little like a beach hotel

Downtown Jacksonville Florida. It's an office building that's on the south bank of the St. Johns River. It is currently called the SouthTrust building, though originally, it was the Gulf Life tower.

I too get the numbers mixed up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back