Architectural Salvage

Surrealist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.edinburgh-east-ssp.org
I was looking for a fireplace at an architectural salvage yard in Edinburgh and took some pics when I was there - this one came out ok :

CIMG5290.JPG

the rest of the photos are here

Looks like a bit of a flare-out both top and bottom.

No offense, but those flares of light = really distracting. Even if they weren't there, I just think the lighting isn't very good.

'nuff said about the flares ...

... but what is an "architectural salvage yard"???????
And where is the fireplace in your picture?

I actually find the flares quite interesting (sorry LaFoto). I think that the shot needs to sized down a bit so you (well, I) can view it without having to scroll, and I think that the contrast needs to be boosted a bit.

But it's quite an interesting shot.

Yea, and like LaFoto, I'd, too, like to know what an architectual salvage yard is.

Thanks.

Thanks all.

An architectural salvage yard is where you can buy antique doors, fireplaces, chairs, bedknobs, toilets, hinges, doorknobs, taps and sinks etc - anything that's not fixed and is (say) 100 years old or more.

I showed these photos to a Russian friend of mine - he says that there's no such thing where he is, and that everyone wants the most modern stuff - whereas here (Edinburgh) there will be a source of this material (many houses here are Georgian or Edwardian) and also a market, whether it's for replacements of original features, or a desire for antique fittings in a later-period house.

I love the way the light flares in this picture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back