Archiving photos

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by Lilla, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Lilla

Lilla TPF Noob!

I just found this board and have a question about preserving older photos. I am a novice both to photography and to the board so please forgive me for my ignorance.

I have several albums of old family photos which I have begun digitizing in order to distribute copies to family members. The question is, what do I do to best preserve the originals?

These photos date from the 1960s-70s, both color and b&w. They were original stored in albums in plastic sleeves but the albums are now falling apart. Many of the photos are faded, warped, or discolored. Should I put them back into archival-quality albums or is there a better way to store them? They will not have to be viewed very often.

Thanks very much for your help.

2. phakimata

phakimata TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The way I store all my images is as follows:
    I create folders with the name consisting of year-month-date-"topic". In each folder the image names will have the file number, also preceded by year-month-date.
    This seems to be the best way to archive images, especially when you have thousands of images. The reason is that people tend to remember around what time they did a certain shoot, and this way it becomes easier to narrow down where the image is stored.
    In addition what I do, is that all my files are stored as DNG and JPEGs (of course with identical names, in the same folder). Images that are created for email or web I give the same name, but I add an "s" at the end for "small".

I hope this is of help.

Cheers,
    Paul.

3. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i would suggest you take the orginals and put them in an archival box with a piece of archival tissue between each photo. put them away in a cool dark location, and away from water.

check lightimpressions for the archival supplies.