Are Canons good for high ISO?

Baaaark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would a Rebel XS do an okay job on high-iso shots?

I'm getting a DSLR, and this is a big priority for me. Indoor shots are my bread and butter.

I figure most cameras are virtually the same in image quality nowadays (maybe 99% vs 100%), but someone was saying in another thread that D80s don't handle high ISO well. And then this got me thinking/worrying.

it depends on what you are comparing them to! for example my d60 handles iso like a charm compared to my fuji finepix :) but it will suck in comparison with a d700.

not quite sure about the canon system as i only shot a 40d once. i must admit it performed better than my d60 but if you really want iso performance you need a higher end camera...

or just invest in some fast lenses to compensate, plus the image quality would be better with a fast lens and lower iso than with a slow lens and higher iso... ;)

While the XS does use a CMOS system vs. a CCD system, it's still rather limited in the high ISO department. It won't do horribly, but it won't do great either. It will only go to ISO 1600 as well. By high ISO, now days, that's usually 3200+. A few years ago ISO 1600 was the cats meow. Funny how quickly things change.

I'm not really clear what your definition of high ISO is though, but in a general sense the XS isn't going to produce the same low ISO noise as a 40D, 50D or even a 5DMk2 or 1DMk3.

It depends on what you consider "an okay job on high-iso shots".

The 'best' cameras (in this format) right now are probably the pro Nikon bodies, D3 and D700....but the Canon 1D series and the 5D series are also extremely good.

If you are comparing to a digi-cam (point & shoot) then any DSLR will be a big improvement and the entry level EOS XS or Nikon D5000 will probably be OK.

Take note that noise is more than just the camera. Your exposure and processing also play a part. If you nail your exposure and/or Expose Right you can easily shoot at ISO 800, 1600, 3200...even on some of the older DSLR camera.

Of Canon. the 50D is pretty good on high-ISO, the 5DmkII is pretty damn impressive. If you're going to be shooting lots of high ISO, the XS will fall short of your expectations.

I just read this on the internet so it might be way of base but it said that the 50D had some issues with noise and some people were even using 40D again bc it was better with noise. I know my XSI gets a lot of noise at high ISO.

You could also get the 50mm 1.4 and software the removes noise thats a cheap solution.

Of Canon. the 50D is pretty good on high-ISO, the 5DmkII is pretty damn impressive. If you're going to be shooting lots of high ISO, the XS will fall short of your expectations.

I just read this on the internet so it might be way of base but it said that the 50D had some issues with noise and some people were even using 40D again bc it was better with noise.

Many of the 50D's 'oooh bad high iso' reports stem from prior to the camera was widely released. It's high-iso performance is on par if not better than the 40D in my experience and heads-and-shoulders above the XS/XSi/XTi/Ti line.

I just read this on the internet so it might be way of base but it said that the 50D had some issues with noise and some people were even using 40D again bc it was better with noise. I know my XSI gets a lot of noise at high ISO.
I was hearing this when the 50D first came out....but knowing several people who own it, that is false. I think it would be more accurate to say that the 50D is as good as the 40D in terms of noise...but with the added resolution, it's an improvement.
The first reviewers were just disappointed that it wasn't leaps and bounds better than the 40D...they basically wanted the 5DII at the price point of the 50D....and Canon wasn't going to give us that.

You could also get the 50mm 1.4 and software the removes noise thats a cheap solution.
It all started with DPReview and a mistake they made in their assessment of a pre-production 50D. They posted that it didn't perform as well as the 40D and all of a sudden the whole internet came unglued.

Now you have people parroting their faulty findings over and over again to the point many believe it's true.

Meanwhile, many people who don't invest 100% in DPReview articles ventured out and bought 50D's (myself included) and discovered it did as good as the 40D with 50% more pixels. Some folks report the 50D actually does better. The point is that the difference is so insignificant most people can't tell the difference.

Here's an in depth owner review (owns both 40D and 50D).

40D vs 50D, ISO and detail comparison - test results - Canon Digital Photography Forums

DSLRs in general have less noise than P&S cameras. I know you're having noise issues with your P&S even at ISO 80. It's the size of the sensor in DSLRs that allow them to have better image quality. They're almost 10 times larger than the sensor in your P&S camera.

Digital Camera Sensor Sizes

Sensor Size Format

Ah good to know thanks. So when is the 60D going to come out, if its even true?

Many think that Nikon cameras currently have better high ISO performance than equivelent Canon gear because of their Nikon spec'ed Sony made, image sensors.

Ah good to know thanks. So when is the 60D going to come out, if its even true?

Don't know, but I've heard it's high-ISO performance is complete crap.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

As for when the 60D will show up...it's anybody's guess. Canon is pretty tight lipped until just before they actually announce a new model.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back