Are cell phones as good as DSLRs? My friend says 'yes'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't you fill the frame on a full frame camera? I can't over fill the crop c camera, people's heads will get cut off.. So what your saying is just for people that have no legs or somehow they glued there camera to the floor.

Why wouldn't you fill the frame on a full frame camera? I can't over fill the crop c camera, people's heads will get cut off.. So what your saying is just for people that have no legs or somehow they glued there camera to the floor.
No. I'm saying a phone doesn't have an advantage over a DSLR when it comes to DoF. Go back to how this started.

What a fascinating train wreck.

@W.Fovall: Jerry is mainly playing word games in order to 'prove' me wrong, because he's angry, because he thinks I said some things I didn't say. He's carefully ignoring a lot of things.

Attempts to discuss the issues reasonably are not going to go anywhere, I suspect.

Last edited:
Yah... I know.... I try and get shallow DOF on my phone and and only can if I'm extremely close to subject, like inches away and then it's just slightly blurred background. While my 6d at 200mm I can be across the room and throw out everything as much as I want..

photography is an all-encompassing medium. regardless of the type of camera, be it a digital point-and-shoot, a mobile phone camera, a high-end DLSR or even a single use Kodak, they all function in the same way: to take a picture. the difference here is that the intent of the photographer and thus his needs of his equipment are what defines his camera. it's possible to take a photo on say, a Canon 1DX, that's even worse than what someone took on an old Nokia flip phone. while the image quality is drastically inferior to that of the DSLR, one may not be able to use the 1DX the way one needs to in order to take a photo with the same impact as the Nokia photo.
all in all, there shouldn't be any debate considering what type of camera is better. what you ought to do is support his interest in mobile photography, because as photographers we all revel in each other's photographs and experiences.

that being said, I love my 5D mkiii to death over my iPhone

Added your new personal claim of fact to the list.

Pray tell, what question would this research project propose to answer?

Is this claim true: "Even you guys use your cell phone cameras more than your DSLRs" (post #106)? Anecdotal responses suggest it's not

Is the obvious implied claim true "Greater use = as good as or better"?

Can something be authoritatively claimed to be the standard and, if so, does greater-use on that standard = better? "Facebook (social media, more generally) is the standard." (post #92)

Did you, in fact, "stop now" (post #96)

Is this a correct definition of photography and how can we establish it? It's not supported (in exclusion of others) by English: "What you think of as irrelevant snaps by the unwashed masses, that's 'photography'." (post #98).

Indeed: "What is photography", which you have just assumed, seems worthy of its own research paper.

Can you prove "[there is] no camera enthusiast who isn't desperate to justify his purchases." (post #63). Doesn't this conflict directly with your claims that Daryll posts accurately?

Are cellphone cameras capable of a more extreme DoF than DSLRs? (post #73)
Are ergonomics better on a cellphone than a DSLR? (post #73)
Can connectivity be "waived aside" when determining a better "camera", or is that an intrinsic part of what makes a camera good or bad? (post #73)

Is this *the* definition of photography? It's not supported by any dictionary "Photography is immediate. It's now. It's at least as much about frictionless sharing as anything else. " (post #79).

Also: Can these meta assertions be supported?
"You're all refusing to see my starting point because you feel attacked. "
"this is the internet and disagreement = attack, and must be replied to with vigorous counter attack."
"I'm more qualified to judge soundness than you guys are. "
"you can't follow my argument. I assure you that it's sound"
"Jerry is mainly playing word games in order to 'prove' me wrong, because he's angry, because he thinks I said some things I didn't say. He's carefully ignoring a lot of things."

That's only half the thread. Should I go on?

Your facts are not trivial, especially not your assumed ones. You simply assume that things are however you chose to define them; even when that equivocation is unique to yourself. You've covered almost every logical fallacy in the book including but not limited to: Straw-man, Appeal to authority, Ad hominem, and Equivocation (all evidenced above).

That's quite enough from both of you.

Any more of that and I'll lock the thread (which should have been locked the second it was posted.)

Oh by all means. It's just the two of us here in the blasted heath anyways and I really cannot see how this could conceivably go anywhere positive.

On this we agree. :)

I didn't read al posts, but a cell phone comparing with a Dslr is like comparing a dog with a horse. The cell phone is better in telephony and a Dslr in photography and there ends it

Wow. what a clusterf**k... :lol:

If you take all the photos I've taken since I've owned my own DSLR, I've taken WAY more with the DSLR and my film stuff than I have with my phone because my phone cameras are always crap. Sure, some people think they're great and all, but I'm not one of those people.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414529090.692923.jpg

iPhone 6 pet store bird pic.. My 6D would have been able to blow out background much better and I had to hold the phone about 4" away from the bird to fill the frame.

:trink39:

I can't find the popcorn emoticon, so that one will have to do :rugby:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back