Are cell phones as good as DSLRs? My friend says 'yes'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't anything more to add. I've made a clear and reasonable argument addressing the central idea that a 'DSLR is better'. My facts are correct, my argument is reasonable.

I have led the horse to water and, add the proverb reminds us, my job is done.

I'll continue to read with interest any new rationalizations, but I'm pretty sure I have nothing more to say.

Well OK one more thing. Even you guys use your cell phone cameras more than your DSLRs.

I haven't anything more to add. I've made a clear and reasonable argument addressing the central idea that a 'DSLR is better'. My facts are correct, my argument is reasonable.

I'll continue to read with interest any new rationalizations, but I'm pretty sure I have nothing more to say.

Well OK one more thing. Even you guys use your cell phone cameras more than your DSLRs.
Threads never die just because you want them to.

Are you under the impression I wasn't this one to die?

Wow. You really can't read.

There's clearly no way to get this through to you guys, so I'm going to stop now.

Are you under the impression I wasn't this one to die?

Wow. You really can't read.

I don't know.
You keep saying that you are "stopping" or "not going to post anymore" and yet you still do.
You should read your own posts, and use proper wording ...

Your opionions and premises, however, are not shared and are asserted as though they are a given. Your argument lacks a well defined claim (as shown by the ability to equivocate).

And bluntly even your facts are in question. For example: you said
"Somehow the things cell phone cameras do better [usually] gets left out. "

You then gave examples which included size, the likelihood of it already being carried, etc.

This things were not, in point of fact, left out. They were mentioned repeatedly by several different posters. So no, your facts are not correct either.

Further: you make some real logical leaps. I'll show you one below.

There's the logical leap. That "more used" equals "better". I use my Caphlon steak knives more than my Shun, but my Shun are better knives.

It's also a factual error in asserting to me (at least assuming "use" is "take photos with"). I take an order of magnitude more photos with my DSLR than with my phone.

It's also another example of that "non-shared premise" that "better" is defined as "more used". Cheap point-and-click film cameras (and for that matter Polaroid instants) were "more used" in 1980 than SLRs were. Few would argue they "were better".

And I use no camera at all more often than I use my smartphone. Turns out, if it doesn't rate a photo at all, I use nothing. If it rates a photo merely to convey a message, than I use whatever is most handy, and if it is worthy of photographing, I pull out my DSLR.

Therefore, by your logic, the best camera is "nothing".

Oh shoot. I was all wrong. I didn't realize that 'better' means 'more expensive'.

My bad.

The problem is your assumption that your logic is sound.

I'm sorry you can't follow my argument. I assure you that it's sound, however.

Oh shoot. I was all wrong. I didn't realize that 'better' means 'more expensive'.
If that's facetious: then it's uncalled for; and if it's sincere it shows a real failure to grasp the discussion.

Though there *can* be a correlation between "more expensive" and "better", based on the idea that the market will go for the highest quality available for a given dollar, that's certainly not the claim.

And were this a discussion of Nikon DSLRs vs similarly priced Leica cameras: the consensus might be different.

Instead we are looking at the ability to get quality output. In doing so, we are actually (usually) not terribly interested in the equipment that got us there. In skilled hands, a DSLR can take better photos under most circumstances than a comparable smartphone.

I think I speak for most that the standard for "better camera" starts with "more capable of taking better photos", and that other features are secondary falling, at best, into "better for you".

And to what extent there's a second tier of criteria: they are related to helping people take better shots. The 6D might be argued better than the 5DmkII because of better low-light performance. You trade a feature that helps get results in one circumstance for one which helps in another.

I'm pretty sure "better" isn't "more used" for most anyone on most any subject.

I'm sorry you can't follow my argument. I assure you that it's sound, however.
I assure you that it is not. I've even been nice enough to be specific and point out examples of how it is not.

But I can only lead you to water. I cannot make you drink.

No, we're just talking past one another. You're all refusing to see my starting point because you feel attacked. Which you're not, I agree entirely that a DSLR is the better to for the job - when it is the better tool for the job.

But this is the internet and disagreement = attack, and must be replied to with vigorous counter attack.

So it goes.

Or maybe, just maybe, I'm more qualified to judge soundness than you guys are. There's no way to be sure. But I know.

I agree entirely that a DSLR is the better to for the job - when it is the better tool for the job.

I, for one, certainly appreciate you stating ridiculously obvious facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back