Are DSLR's a dying breed?

PhotoFrenzie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, i'm the kind of person who cares about being future proof. I don't like buying things and then have them be obsolete in a few years, or in this case invest in a certain system.

So, here's my dilemma. I wouldn't say that I am a complete beginner with photography. I have taken classes at my school but it was with film. I want to invest in a digital system but don't know which one. Nikon d3200 paired with a 35 1.8 and then expand from there or a macro 4/3's system? (Don't know which one yet)

Here's my worries about investing in a dslr system. I have read and seen many people talking about how macro 4/3's is the future of photography and that dslr's will be a thing of the past in the next 5 -10 years. I don't know what to think, but I do know that every product has a product cycle and this could very well be the direction were headed. The thing about the macro 4/3's is they seem a little to small for me, I want something with bulk and that feels good in my hands. My dad owns a dslr and I like the way it feels. I just don't want to buy into a dying system.

This is more of an opinion question, just want to know what you guys think about the path dslr's and macro 4/3's cameras are going.

No. DSLR's aren't going anywhere. Maybe for the hobby shooter who wants a small camera that they can put in their pocket as well as change lenses the 4/3 is a solution, but the DSLR market is still growing every day and it's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future. Pro's are not going to switch to 4/3, the sensor size is a problem for us.

In photography, nothing ever seems to die.

There's still a market for technologies that were replaced more than 100 years ago. DSLRs as we know them today will eventually cease to dominate, the market, but they won't outright die for.. shoot, it's anyone's guess. I expect there will still be someone making camera more or less like the DSLRs of today well after I am dead. The current DSLR systems aren't going to go away until well after anything you buy today has worn out.

You're dealing with technology... there's no such thing as "future proof"

Besides...

Just because something better comes out, doesn't mean that the current equipment suddenly stops working. Concern about stuff going obsolete is completely within the mind.... its only a problem if you make it so.

I believe that micro 4/3 will always have a place and DSLRs days are numbered. I just don't necessarily think that micro 4/3 will be the one replacing DSLRs.

FOR ME... micro 4/3 has replaced my Canon (1dMark II, 5d, plus a whole list of L lenses) but it was driven by other factors.

Last edited:
Yes, DSLRs are a dying breed but it is not yet certain what they will be replaced with. It may not be the 4/3 but rather a mirrorless camera with a large sensor and full frame capability as well as interchangeable lenses.

The advantages of NO flipping mirror and a high resolution electronic viewfinder are:

1. real time feedback through the viewfinder on the visual effect of camera adjustments.
2. less vibration so sharper handheld photos at lower shutterspeeds. (I have handheld at 1 second with a usable result)
3. adjustments, electronic level, histograms, etc. can be displayed in the viewfinder
4. 100% viewfinder coverage even on a non-full frame camera as opposed to 95% on others.
5. Continuous phase detection autofocus when shooting video.

skieur

usayit said:
You're dealing with technology... there's no such thing as "future proof".

That was my first thought.

I am willing to bet that the DSLR from factor will remain but eventually become mirrorless once the tech catch up.

Totally.

I mean, all of the professionals are using little Sony NEXs and Olympus PEN cameras right? I'm right aren't I?

Even when the flipping mirror goes away I'm sure they'll keep the DSLR form factor. I really hope they do.

The Nikkor lenses aren't going anywhere. I have a 25- to 30-year old AIS macro lens that use on my D40 (with a couple of limitations). I'm sure, if taken care of, my future grandchildren will be able to use it on whatever Nikon body is around in 25 years.

Totally.

I mean, all of the professionals are using little Sony NEXs and Olympus PEN cameras right? I'm right aren't I?

Even when the flipping mirror goes away I'm sure they'll keep the DSLR form factor. I really hope they do.

Both Olympus and Panasonic have recognized that the smallish PEN format will not appeal to all...

The size of the latest Olympus, OMD EM-5, is about the size of the Nikon D3100

Compare camera dimensions side by side

The size of the latest Panasonic, G5, is about the size of the Nikon D3100.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Along with the small form factor. The E-PM1 is smaller than most high end P&S. There's a micro 4/3 camera for everyone.... What is much smaller are the lenses. My 12-35mm f/2.8 (24-70 f/2.8 equiv) is about the size of a Canon 85mm f/1.8. My 35-100mm f/2.8 (70-200 f/2.8 equiv) is about the size of the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro. My 12mm f/2, 20mm f/1.7, 45mm f/1.8, and 75mm f/1.8 are all smaller than the Canon 50mm f/1.4. That's the appeal of the micro 4/3 system.... its a nice balance between sensor (and IQ) with packaging.

I'm sure Canon is thinking the same exact thing.... with their mirror less camera, sensor (bigger), and backwards compatibility.

Nikon... well... they went with an even smaller sensor than micro 4/3 so I'm not exactly sure where they are headed... :er:

What's interesting here is not whether one system will over take the popularity of DSLRs but whether or not the flippin mirror is still necessary. I predict mirrorless cameras that continue the EF and Nikkor line of lenses in their current mount and sensor sizes.

It think as mirrorless (with interchangeable lens mounts) enter mainstream... another will start to appear. Fixed lens, full-frame (or larger) sensor, mirrorless, cameras such as this one:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/...view-part-1-an-intro-to-a-compact-powerhouse/

Apparently, when you design the lens and camera together you can squeeze out even more image quality and resolution. For those that may consider high IQ a priority over the flexibility of changing lenses. I can see myself carrying two of these cameras with me... one with 24mm equiv and another with 50mm equiv.

Last edited:
You should just do nothing and wait for the future.
Sage advice!

Since the rate of change continues to accelerate, it won't be to much longer before the Future and Now are concurrent.

Smaller than full size 135 format (35 mm) image sensors, like the APS-H, APS-C, 4/3, and smaller image sensors, make it difficult to achieve a very shallow depth-of-field.

Consequently, DSLR image sensors seem to be gravitating to all DSLR camera's having a full frame image sensor.
The current questionable feature in a DSLR is the mirror/viewfinder system. However, a pellicle mirror (beam splitter) was first used in a Canon camera in 1965.
Canon also offered pellicle mirror cameras in 1972 and 1984. Sony calls their pellical mirror a Translucent Mirror.

There are difficulties with pellical mirrors, notably the reduced transmission of light to both the viewfinder system and to the imaging media caused by the mirror splitting the light.

Last edited:
My guess for the "future" will still be DSLR's. But probably a fixed mirror shutterless camera. Where the fixed mirror is electronically controlled to act as a shutter (reflective or clear)! But I still see a need for SLR platform.

Now for normal consumers there have always been a demand for point and shoots. From polaroids, disc, 110's, p&s 35mm, etc. Having digital versions of these now a days is no different.

A lot of people talk how good their cell phones are as cameras. It's when people look to do more, they realize the limitations they are working with by not having SLR type equipment. They will be around at least a couple more decades. I think you would get your monies worth by the time they are declared dead!!!

Well the R in DSLR is definitely going to have to be dropped as things move to a mirror less but I don't see the basic form factor that the DSLR uses going away any time soon.

I don't want to get old. I just love technology! I want to see what the future brings to our next couple of generations.

My guess for the "future" will still be DSLR's. But probably a fixed mirror shutterless camera. Where the fixed mirror is electronically controlled to act as a shutter (reflective or clear)! But I still see a need for SLR platform.

There are no mirrors at all in electronic shutter cameras. Three eye peace has a LCD that shows what the sensor is seeing.

I would not be surprised to see a pro body full frame Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera (MILC) on the market in the next year or two.

Does this mean that your current DSLR camera will be obsolete? Absolutely not.

Most reactions

Back