Are football shoulders okay..

When you do the outdoor shots don't forget to take the lights with you.
Dude... why not just tell me not to leave my camera at home???? :(

I like the 1st one.
Just an idea, Have you considered experimenting with lowering the camera tripod , shooting more upward so the player looks larger?
Nicely done!
Thanks! I have tried that, I wasn't overly pleased with the results because in the ones that I did, he was holding his helmet and it looked too large and prominent, but I plan to do some more.

You would be surprised how many times I have walked by some high school field on photo day only to see the same old, hold the ball in one arm, down on one knee, helmet off on the ground pose. No lights other than the sun in sight. Whats worse they take the team photo with no fill light. Sometimes it't the coaches fault not wanting to waste too much time from practice, sometimes it's the photographers fault. Just trying to make sure you have all the bases covered.

Psssst. Don't forget your camera. :biggrin-93:

You would be surprised how many times I have walked by some high school field on photo day only to see the same old, hold the ball in one arm, down on one knee, helmet off on the ground pose. No lights other than the sun in sight. Whats worse they take the team photo with no fill light. Sometimes it't the coaches fault not wanting to waste too much time from practice, sometimes it's the photographers fault. Just trying to make sure you have all the bases covered.

Psssst. Don't forget your camera. :biggrin-93:
:p I hear you... drove past a wedding session the other day where the photographer had the couple against a sign with very strong, bright overcast backlighting and no fill of any sort other than her VAL with a smallish reflector.... I honestly thought about stopping and saying, "Here are three speedlights... it's all I've got with me. For gawd's sakes use 'em!!"

Looks good.

One thing to try, to see if you like it, would be to use that same lighting scheme, the two side/kicker lights, but let the shadows get darker for a deeper ratio. That would mean that the front of his face could get pretty dark, but if you position the side lights just right, you can get away with it, and it looks pretty 'bad ass'.

Then, to step it up another notch, get him wet so it looks like he's sweaty. Have him rub on a bit a baby oil (or similar) then spray some water and it should bead up. I guess you could mix in some dirt on the face and jersey to really take it to the limit.

Looks good.

One thing to try, to see if you like it, would be to use that same lighting scheme, the two side/kicker lights, but let the shadows get darker for a deeper ratio. That would mean that the front of his face could get pretty dark, but if you position the side lights just right, you can get away with it, and it looks pretty 'bad ass'.

Then, to step it up another notch, get him wet so it looks like he's sweaty. Have him rub on a bit a baby oil (or similar) then spray some water and it should bead up. I guess you could mix in some dirt on the face and jersey to really take it to the limit.
Thanks Mike, and great ideas; I'll definitely add that into my list!

I attended a seminar, several years ago, from a Canadian photographer who did a fair amount of HS seniors and he uses that style quite a bit. It was his photo I was picturing.

I couldn't remember his name, but then I remembered that he was a constant on ManTracker and I was able to track him down. He is Rob Provencher.

THIS is the image I was thinking about.

Most reactions

Back