Are FX lens compatible with Nikon D3300?

mjobanjatt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am interested in buying a Nikon Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 FX lens. But i am not sure if FX lens will work with DX cameras(D3300). One of my friend told me that I can't use AF with FX.
Is it true?
Should I still buy it?
Thanks

Sorry for the delay. Today i got my hands on the lens. Here is a pic.
370dd57d607a268ee20880eb6fc9fa09.jpg

The lens actually say AF as shown in the pic. But when i tried the lens, i was only able to use it in MF. What do you say about this?

Last edited:
All Nikon d-slr cameras can use "FX" lenses in F-mount. There are no, as in not one,single model, that actually carries a label that says "FX" on the lens....only, and I mean ONLY, the lenses designed for small-sensor Nikoncs, have a label, which indicates format, and that format is DX, as in DX-NIKKOR ____ f/X.x, and so on.

The D40,D40x,D60, and the D3000-series and D5000-series cameras do not have in-body autofocusing motors and the screw-drive connection used for the earlier AF-series or the AF-D-series autofocusing lenses; those "small Nikon" bodies use the in-lens AF motors for focusing. But those "small Nikon" bodies can use the 50mm autofocusing lenses Nikon has made, back to the mid-1980's.

Nikon's newest lenses are AF-S, or AF-S G series models: these are what the D3000-type Nikons work most completely with.

The Nikkor 50mm autofocusing lens was made in the 1980's to the 1990's in the AF-series, and then the AF-D series, in both f/1.8 models, and f/1.4 models.

The very-newest 50mm for Nikon is the AF-S G series.

There is an f/1.4 50mm AF-S G, and also an f/1.8 AF-S G-series 50mm lens, in a new series of lenses with 20,28,35,40mm, 60mm macro, and the two 50 models, and two nice 85mm primes, EACH ONE of which has the in-lens AF-S motor, and which are available in both f/1.4 and f/1.8 aperture maximums in some lengths.

Your friend might be a bit confused it seems. Again, there are absolutely NO Nikon-made lenses that are called "FX"....there are AF and AF-D lenses, and those will mount, and take photos, but will not automatially set the focus for you on a D3000-series camera. But they WILL TAKE PHOTOS.

A 50mm lens on a Nikon D3100 or D3200 functions as a short, fast-aperture telephoto lens, with a moderately narrow angle of view.

Last edited:
Thanks for great information.
But how bad is 'no automatic focus' ?
Since I am willing to use it for portraits. Will it give good results?
I am sorry, i am kinda newbie!
Sent from my SM-J700F using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

..........There are no, as in not one,single model, that actually carries a label that says "FX" on the lens...................

That may change soon.

nikon-35mm-fx.jpg

Yes it may! Nikon kind of shot itself in the foot with the 35mm f/1.8 lens spot in their overall product lineup. Having made such a substandard performer as their DX series $199 35mm Nikkor for several yesrs, they found it impossible to sell their -----new $700 f/1.8 35mm---- lens, with any success.

Too much confusion with the junky DX-Nikkor 35 mm lens and the new,high-grade lens designed for high performance on Nikon full frames.

Your camera has no focusing motor. It is designed to be used with the Nikkor AF-S lenses which have built in focusing motors. Some older Nikkor's won't work either. If you look for lenses marked both AF-S and G, you are in business regardless of sensor coverage. Some older lenses will work but without full functionality.

Yes it may! Nikon kind of shot itself in the foot with the 35mm f/1.8 lens spot in their overall product lineup. Having made such a substandard performer as their DX series $199 35mm Nikkor for several yesrs, they found it impossible to sell their -----new $700 f/1.8 35mm---- lens, with any success.

Too much confusion with the junky DX-Nikkor 35 mm lens and the new,high-grade lens designed for high performance on Nikon full frames.
I have the Nikon 35mm 1.8G ED which is the full frame lens and its stunning, got it use though, no way would I pay full retail.
Only negative on it is that is has a pretty strong vignetting when wide open but Lightroom takes care of it with one click.
I LOVE it :)

Last edited:
Derrel pretty much covered it all in his explanation.
My second camera is Nikon D3300 my Nikon 50mm 1.8G is attached to it most of the time.
I love 50mm on crop sensor cameras, not so much though on full frame.
On full frame its not wide enough for classic landscape and not close enough for portrait.
On crop sensor body its great for general use and very good for portrait.
Works perfectly on my D3300 and I love it on it but don't get the older Nikon 50mm 1.8D, its a good lens but will not auto focus on your D3300, its only 100$ difference and I recommend to get the newer version that will auto focus on the D3300

........Only negative on it is that is has a pretty strong vegetating when wide open..............

..............................................................................................
CalvinBlink2.gif

Sounds like your lens needs a membership at the gym for it's New Years' Resolution! :1247:

........Only negative on it is that is has a pretty strong vegetating when wide open..............

..............................................................................................
CalvinBlink2.gif

Sounds like your lens needs a membership at the gym for it's New Years' Resolution! :1247:
LOL English second language, corrected original post :)

Don't forget about the AI-P lenses (what few there are) which are also compatible with every Nikon DSLR. They are manual focus only but act no different than your modern AF-S lenses.

The first P-Series Nikkor I remember was the 500mm f/4. The only one I've ever owned is this little 45 mm f/2.8 P series. This pancake design is shown here in my hand with a Canon EF lens mount adapter added to it, to be used on a Canon d-slrCRW_0633PowerShot G3.JPG .View attachment 132282

I am interested in buying a Nikon Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 FX lens. But i am not sure if FX lens will work with DX cameras(D3300). One of my friend told me that I can't use AF with FX.
Is it true?
Should I still buy it?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-J700F using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
You will need AF-S lenses for your 3300. AF and AF-D lenses use the focusing motor built into specific camera models of which your 3300 is not. There are however, plenty of great AF-S FX lenses that will work just fine with your camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back