Are lenses compatible with camera upgrade?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by kerry1369, Apr 18, 2009.

1. kerry1369

kerry1369 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey all,

I have a Nikon D40X. It is my first dSLR and I love it. I have the kit lens (18-55mm) and the Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens. I am saving up for another len but I got to thinking-in the future when I upgrade cameras, can the lenses I use on the D40X (with the autofocusing in the lenses) work on better cameras that have the focusing features in the camera body? I don't want to invest a lot of money in lenses that I won't ever be able to use if I upgrade.

Thank in advance for the help!

Kerry

2. nickisonfire

nickisonfire TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    simply put, yes if you buy another nikon camera the lenses will fit.

3. bdavison

bdavison TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    AF-S lenses are great in my opinion. Its just a darn shame all lenses arent SWM equipped.

4. kerry1369

kerry1369 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    bdavison-What is SWM equipped?

5. dcclark

dcclark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    SWM means "Silent Wave Motor", the name for the autofocus motor which is built in to AF-S lenses. Older Nikon lenses had a mechanical coupling which allowed the camera itself to drive the autofocus on lenses -- but newer AF-S lenses don't need that motor. So, your D40x doesn't have that autofocus coupling at all, which means it can't use older lenses. However, AF-S lenses will work on ANY current or future Nikon.

There is one issue you might run in to however -- your lenses are "DX" format, which means that they are designed to work with the smaller sensor of the D40x (and many other Nikon DSLRs). If you make a big upgrade to a "full frame" DSLR, such as the D700, D3, or some future DSLR that uses a bigger sensor, your lenses will work, but will not take full advantage of the bigger sensor. This is unfortunate, but not a deal-breaker in my opinion.

6. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If someone is upgrading to a top of the line camera, something tells me they are going to either ditch the "low rent" lenses they have, or their collection will have acquired FX-compatible lenses.

7. kerry1369

kerry1369 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks dcclark for the info!
    ANDS!-oh, I can dream!!! Top of the line would be heavenly but unless I start making money, and a lot of it, off of my pictures-top of the line is sadly out of reach! Thankfully, I am still newbie enough to this hobby that I don't know what I am missing :)

8. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Can grab a D200 for around 600 or less these days. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably grab that over a D300/D3 and spend the rest of other gadgets. Live and learn, live and learn.