Are Magazine Subscriptions Any Good

Stevedevil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sjrphoto.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I subscribe to a Magazine In UK called Digital Photo's, and they offer CD rom vidio tutorials of Photoshop ( and Elements ) and this month have included one of my photo's in thier magazines gallery..

My question, am I learning Photoshop the right way, as they seem to brush past most lessons with no inclusion of effects

If they are, then are their other sites that may give more to the non pro photographer

Cheers Steve

I subscribe to EOS Magazine which is a quarterly magazine from Canon. Full of news and interesting articles including a technique section. About £18 for 4 mags throughout the year. Superb stuff if you have an EOS camera. Learning Photoshop I'd suggest www.photoshopuser.com.

Subscription web site but it includes a subscription to the PhotoshopUser magazine which is outstanding. Written and run by Scott Kelby (Photoshop Pro & book writer).

Sounds expensive though but the subscription to the mag makes it worth it. i just don't have the spare cash for it at the moment!!

I will have a look at the Canon website later and will subscribe, sounds a usefull magazine to have,

Thanks

STeve

get rangefinder, its free, and the best photo magazine i've ever seen

Just subscribed to EOS magazine, they are offering 5 for 4 at the mo ( thats last issue, this issue + 3 ) for £16, excellent, will also check out rangefinder on web later

Cheers Steve

I've been reading Practical Photography for years. I wouldn't be without it. Even now living in New York I can still get the magazine from Barnes and Noble. Best magazine out there imo for photography advice and great features. They also feature a fair amount of digital advice too.

Rangefinder is great, I would also recommend Photo District News if you can afford it.

I find with most magazines on the shelf, the same subjects are continuously repeated. Portrait, landscape, and so on! EOS Mag is very useful and is different every time. Look too at some of the back issues.

I'll check Rangefinder too.....

I use Digital Photo Mag, and they run Tutorials in PS, so thats pretty much the only reason I use it, but does give a Beginner in PS some great stuff, Have also ( After EOS_JD's advice ) Subscribed to EOS magazine

Hopefully receive it soon

Cheers Steve

I subscribe to a Magazine In UK called Digital Photo's, and they offer CD rom vidio tutorials of Photoshop ( and Elements ) and this month have included one of my photo's in thier magazines gallery..

My question, am I learning Photoshop the right way, as they seem to brush past most lessons with no inclusion of effects

If they are, then are their other sites that may give more to the non pro photographer

Cheers Steve
Photoshop User caters exclusively to PS. If your goal is to learn Photoshop, you might want to consider books by [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-Digital-Photographers-Voices-Matter/dp/0321330625/sr=8-2/qid=1172289418/ref=pd_ka_2/203-9732318-5727104?ie=UTF8&s=books"]Scott Kelby[/ame]. Also check out [ame="http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html"]Russell Brown[/ame] online tips/techniques.

I like Rangefinder and American Photography. I understand the latter might be expensive for postage, but I think it focuses on the act of photography, not digital editing and gear like other magazines tend to do. And you can't argue with Rangefinder, it's free and has a ton of content.

Most reactions

Back