Are my photos good enough to start charging for sessions?

Generally speaking, we don't like critiquing photographers who haven't asked to be critiqued. But I understand your confusion, so I'll try to help.

I personally am not fond of this photo. I do follow Meg Bitton/LJ Holloway (their styles are often indistinguishable) but I've never liked any of the "half-naked in an urban setting" photos they've taken. But let me explain why she used the composition she did and how it differs from yours.

Look at the lines of the road in the background. The move closer together in a triangle, leading you toward the model's face. If you blurred it to the point where nothing was recognizable, it would be reminiscent of a spotlight shining down on her. Yours is simply busy, with distracting objects taking you off in separate directions.

I do think this one is too busy, and I think a stronger separation light would have helped. But that's personal opinion. Also, Meg does a lot of composites, which I'm sure this is. Don't put your models in the middle of a road!!

Ok, so then the photo below... to me it's visually pleasing. But compositionally it's incorrect? Busy background, bright headlights? Or am I missing your point entirely? Lol Credit: Meg Bitton
Hi, again.

1. You are not allowed by forum rules to post photos for which you do not have ownership. Yes, I know nobody called you on the other one, but we need to adhere to the rules. You should take both of them down, and provide a link to each in their place.

2. This example is pretty good, but I would crop some off the left side (about where that orange light is down low) but I can't do this one because it's not yours. Cropping that way would weight the image to provide more space for the model to "move into", and placing the model off center would help alleviate the fairly static composition that this is.

3. The "busyness" of the background is not detracting from the primary subject, so it's fine. Where to draw the distinction? The lights are forming a kind of random pattern, and are OOF enough that they are not distracting.

I looked to see if Meg Bitton has any video tutorials, and it appears that she does. I highly reccomend looking into this sort of content, especially when it comes from photographers that inspire you. I've purchased two different video workshops over the years; "Photographer Shootoff: Lara Jade VS Joey L" and the Creativelive "Fashion Photography 101 with Lara Jade" workshop video, and both of them completely changed the way I shoot and edit, and were incredibly helpful in developing my personal style as a photographer. Video workshops are an investment, but I think they are worth it, and more valuable than a new lens or camera. You usually get unlimited access to the videos after you buy them, so you can always get a refresher as well. I looked through Meg's shop and found this one which covers styling, pre-shoot, lighting and location, as well as editing. I would look into this.
https://megbittonlive.com/course/magic-in-the-forest/

Generally speaking, we don't like critiquing photographers who haven't asked to be critiqued. But I understand your confusion, so I'll try to help.

I personally am not fond of this photo. I do follow Meg Bitton/LJ Holloway (their styles are often indistinguishable) but I've never liked any of the "half-naked in an urban setting" photos they've taken. But let me explain why she used the composition she did and how it differs from yours.

Look at the lines of the road in the background. The move closer together in a triangle, leading you toward the model's face. If you blurred it to the point where nothing was recognizable, it would be reminiscent of a spotlight shining down on her. Yours is simply busy, with distracting objects taking you off in separate directions.

I do think this one is too busy, and I think a stronger separation light would have helped. But that's personal opinion. Also, Meg does a lot of composites, which I'm sure this is. Don't put your models in the middle of a road!!
I'm just looking for examples and working on my recognition of good composition and bad composition/what I should be aspiring for. I'm not trying to throw a gifted photographer under the proverbial bus. Lol. I'm familiar with composites. I wasn't planning to put a heavily pregnant woman in the path of a speeding car. Lol :D

I looked to see if Meg Bitton has any video tutorials, and it appears that she does. I highly reccomend looking into this sort of content, especially when it comes from photographers that inspire you. I've purchased two different video workshops over the years; "Photographer Shootoff: Lara Jade VS Joey L" and the Creativelive "Fashion Photography 101 with Lara Jade" workshop video, and both of them completely changed the way I shoot and edit, and were incredibly helpful in developing my personal style as a photographer. Video workshops are an investment, but I think they are worth it, and more valuable than a new lens or camera. You usually get unlimited access to the videos after you buy them, so you can always get a refresher as well. I looked through Meg's shop and found this one which covers styling, pre-shoot, lighting and location, as well as editing. I would look into this.
Thank ya!

I'm just looking for examples and working on my recognition of good composition and bad composition/what I should be aspiring for. I'm not trying to throw a gifted photographer under the proverbial bus. Lol. I'm familiar with composites. I wasn't planning to put a heavily pregnant woman in the path of a speeding car. Lol :D
Start reading about art, compositional theory, etc. This isn't something that you just 'do'; there's science behind it. You need to understand how people see things, and why one image works when a very similar one doesn't. I would recommend a trip to your local library and starting taking out whatever they have for beginners in the Art section (DD 701 and 704).

I wasn't planning to put a heavily pregnant woman in the path of a speeding car. Lol :D
Oh, is that something we should try to avoid? :aiwebs_016:

Haha, just have to make sure. If you'd seen what some newbie newborn "photographers" do to the babies, you'd feel morally obligated to point out composites whenever you see them as well. :)

Ok, so then the photo below... to me it's visually pleasing. But compositionally it's incorrect? Busy background, bright headlights? Or am I missing your point entirely? Lol Credit: Meg Bitton
Hi, again.

1. You are not allowed by forum rules to post photos for which you do not have ownership. Yes, I know nobody called you on the other one, but we need to adhere to the rules. You should take both of them down, and provide a link to each in their place.

2. This example is pretty good, but I would crop some off the left side (about where that orange light is down low) but I can't do this one because it's not yours. Cropping that way would weight the image to provide more space for the model to "move into", and placing the model off center would help alleviate the fairly static composition that this is.

3. The "busyness" of the background is not detracting from the primary subject, so it's fine. Where to draw the distinction? The lights are forming a kind of random pattern, and are OOF enough that they are not distracting.
Ick. Oh, sorry. Got it! The first one, I don't have a link to. Just print rights. The second I will post the link for.
As far as the cropping, I will use my imagination! As for the lights i do see what your're saying and to me it seems like the street is a giant arrow pointing at the subject. So I see why this works.

Haha, just have to make sure. If you'd seen what some newbie newborn "photographers" do to the babies, you'd feel morally obligated to point out composites whenever you see them as well. :)
I have heard horror stories. This is the wonderful lady who did my son's newborn photos. http://kimberlygphotography.com/newborn-gallery/
Her composites are freaking adorable!

I love the shot. Yes there are some distracting elements in the image, a la the yellow car on the left. But there is more right than wrong. Even the wrongs can be covered by motive. To me the photo is a declaration of celebration to women and women's contribution to birth, rebirth, survival of the species ... Genesis.

In many cultures, a pregnant women is kept wrapped up and indoors ... hidden. Nearly banished during pregnancy from the public eye. This image not only celebrates women's greatness ... but celebrates in boldly in public. In the middle of a busy thoroughfare ... dressed to the T, the wind flagging the dinner gown, lines from the top and bottom directing your eye to the women on center stage. This is much more than a maternity photo ... this is a cultural line in the sand ... a proclamation ... I am not fat, I am not distorted, I am not ugly, I am not ashamed ... I AM Proud ... I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar ...

Just my $.02.

Thank ya!
If you don't mind, I'll share some resources for inspiration and education. I think this stuff is very important, especially when we are self taught artists.

CreativeLive: Free Live Online Classes - Learn. Be Inspired. (free live video workshops which you can purchase after they've aired live)

Fashion Photography 101 with Lara Jade | CreativeLive - Learn. Be Inspired. ($129 is a steal considering how amazing this workshop is)

Experimental Portraits with Sue Bryce, Lara Jade | CreativeLive - Learn. Be Inspired. (two of the industry's leading creative portrait photographers)

Glamour Photography with Sue Bryce | CreativeLive - Learn. Be Inspired. (Sue Bryce is incredible)

Learn From Joey L. (fyi I believe you can pick this DVD up for much cheaper on amazon or ebay)

I know none of these cover anything in terms of maternity photography, but I believe the skillsets taught by these photographers are very universal in portrait photography.

Also, this isn't a tutorial, but I believe that visual inspiration and reference is extremely important, and this website is a goldmine of free inspiration and reference photos: Fashion Editorials

I'm just looking for examples and working on my recognition of good composition and bad composition/what I should be aspiring for.
Your reading assignment for the week:

Search

On second thought; you will never get through all that in only one week. Better make it a month.

Last edited:
Thank ya!
If you don't mind, I'll share some resources for inspiration. I think this stuff is very important, especially when we are self taught artists.

CreativeLive: Free Live Online Classes - Learn. Be Inspired. (free live video workshops which you can purchase after they've aired live)

Fashion Photography 101 with Lara Jade | CreativeLive - Learn. Be Inspired. ($129 is a steal considering how amazing this workshop is)

Experimental Portraits with Sue Bryce, Lara Jade | CreativeLive - Learn. Be Inspired. (two of the industry's leading creative portrait photographers)

Glamour Photography with Sue Bryce | CreativeLive - Learn. Be Inspired. (Sue Bryce is incredible)

Learn From Joey L. (fyi I believe you can pick this DVD up for much cheaper on amazon or ebay)

I know none of these cover anything in terms of maternity photography, but I believe the skillsets taught by these photographers are very universal in portrait photography.

Also, this isn't a tutorial, but I believe that visual inspiration and reference is extremely important, and this website is a goldmine of free inspiration and reference photos: Fashion Editorials
Yass. This is the stuff I'm looking for!! Also, do you or anyone else have any print reference materials you might suggest? I'm a nursing student by day and a travel agent by night so 99% of my life is in front of a screen right now. Not that I think anything will change if I can get this photography thing off the ground but, y'all, my eyes HURT. I'd like to just hold a book please.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back