Are other noob's as obsessed as I am?

Just wondering if this is normal or if I should be seeking help. It seems that I am obsessed with my new found hobby.

Unless your family have staged an intervention, you're fine. I only started this spring and already have thousands of dollars worth of gear, hundreds of pics of insignifigant objects, and a sore shoulder from carrying my 40D and at least 3 lenses at all times.

You guys sound just like me! Doesnt it make things more fun though?? A "normal" outing in the past is now an exciting opportunity to get that great shot. Then I can hardly wait to get back to my computer to see how they turn out & play with them in PS. :lol: I can sit at my computer for hours playing.

I am right there with you always have my camera with me. I shoot allot of emergency service pictures so i never know when the calls gonna come in.

You are definitely not alone! Although I admit I do tend to mostly obsess over taking photos of horses. I am always thinking, "the next one will be better, the next one, and the next one"...so no you definitely not the only one.

Although I have to admit, I wish I had chosen some different hobbies - both photography and horses can be quite expensive - it's a good thing I only like to golf a couple of times per year! ;)

You ask

Are other noobs as obsessed as your are.

simply put

Yes.

Wow, I did not know we had so much in common
I literally laughed out loud at your pictures. You ever step on one of those PetShop things? WOW! LOL.

This was one of my first photos after playing around with just snapping everything. The first one I actually set a subject up for.
Littlest PetShop Toys

We have a small manger scene displayed at Christmas. My daughters and I "modified" it a little.
Littlest PetShop Christmas Manger
Manger scene number 2

My best (not-so-good) shots of the LifeFlight chopper. Shot 2.

And at least twice a year, we get this fly over.

This hobby is expensive though.

I just purchased my D90 Oct 1. I am kinda in debt because of the D90 with 18-105mm itself, extra battery, a bag, 50mm f/1.8, 2x 4GB cards.
I find it's only as expensive as you make it. Sure, I would love to have a dSLR and the overall image quality you get from them, but I'm having a blast with my little ole Fuji S5700. I was in the market for a new digicam when I put down the Canon SD1000 and picked up the Fuji. I thought I wanted something as small as possible to slip in the pocket, which the SD1000 was very small, until I picked up the fuller body Fuji. At that point, I came across photography stuff when looking up the camera, and now I'm here and learning more every day about photography in general and about how to get the most out of my particular camera specifically.

But mine are bigger :D
Sometimes it's not all about the size :D. This is what I had thought was LifeFlight I could hear in the distance. I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't LifeFlight. I don't get something like this flying over the house very often.

My biggest photography regret was being at work when the detective asked us if he could bring the K-9 unit out to our property to search for human remains (long story, LOL). They told my wife that she would see a helicopter fly over just to survey the property from the air. A few days later, she calls me at work to tell me that a chopper with POLICE really big on the side circled our house right above about 4 times for all the neighbors to see! I really wish I could have been there for that with the camera.

What a day to bring this subject up. I went to pick my wife up today, camera in the back seat as usual. I look up on a bluff from the parking lot where she works and I notice some Turkeys. I'm like, I got a few minutes why not. So I get the stuff out from the back seat and start running for the hill before the bluff. I just about get everything setup and look to see if they're still there. There wern't as many, so now I'm really hurrying. Then I notice another one fly. but he was flying towards me. That's right, they flew to within 50 ft of me or so.

DSC_00221.JPG

DSC_00251.JPG

Then I pick up my wife and we were leaving the parking lot and there were deer up on the bluff:

DSC_0034.JPG

Today was a good day.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ZhwzyT-MfFo/SRkCMGp2rlI/AAAAAAAAAdw/qB7ssR0n1Kw/s640/DSC_00221.JPG

I literally laughed out loud at your pictures. You ever step on one of those PetShop things? WOW! LOL.

This was one of my first photos after playing around with just snapping everything. The first one I actually set a subject up for.
Littlest PetShop Toys

We have a small manger scene displayed at Christmas. My daughters and I "modified" it a little.
Littlest PetShop Christmas Manger
Manger scene number 2

My best (not-so-good) shots of the LifeFlight chopper. Shot 2.

And at least twice a year, we get this fly over.

I find it's only as expensive as you make it. Sure, I would love to have a dSLR and the overall image quality you get from them, but I'm having a blast with my little ole Fuji S5700. I was in the market for a new digicam when I put down the Canon SD1000 and picked up the Fuji. I thought I wanted something as small as possible to slip in the pocket, which the SD1000 was very small, until I picked up the fuller body Fuji. At that point, I came across photography stuff when looking up the camera, and now I'm here and learning more every day about photography in general and about how to get the most out of my particular camera specifically.

Sometimes it's not all about the size :D. This is what I had thought was LifeFlight I could hear in the distance. I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't LifeFlight. I don't get something like this flying over the house very often.

My biggest photography regret was being at work when the detective asked us if he could bring the K-9 unit out to our property to search for human remains (long story, LOL). They told my wife that she would see a helicopter fly over just to survey the property from the air. A few days later, she calls me at work to tell me that a chopper with POLICE really big on the side circled our house right above about 4 times for all the neighbors to see! I really wish I could have been there for that with the camera.

Lol I have a responce to the police dog too, they are just not scanned....We had PD staff from all over this end of the state training dogs in what I like to call my back yard. I toddled over there with my 35mm and my 100-200 and commenced a firing.

As well as the Apachee...mine is a cobra tho. I too thought it was mercy flight till it showd it self over the trees. I like that apachee shot you got.

Ya got me on the blimp though.

But anywho...No I have been luckey enough to have avoided the step on of a littlest pet...got just about every thing else, Hot wheels hard tracks are the worst.

*EDIT*
*EDIT*

Ha, that's totally me, but also my 4 year old son. Any time ANYTHING airborne goes overhead, we go tearing out the door to try to see it. No matter if we are in our underwear or fully clothed! My wife snuck a picture of me and him both standing out in the yard in our boxers staring up at the sky trying to find the helicopter we were hearing. (We live way out in the woods. :p)

Yeah I run after anything airborne too, But in the city I have to atleast have pants on. I got a bunch of single engine prop plains, and once chasing after one of those I ended up with some great shots of a pair of bald eagles

I ran out to get get this plane as it flew over, and I ended up getting this

Last edited:
Lol I have a responce to the police dog too, they are just not scanned....We had PD staff from all over this end of the state training dogs in what I like to call my back yard. I toddled over there with my 35mm and my 100-200 and commenced a firing.
Yeah, but, they were just training at your place. They were looking for the body of the previous owner's first wife at mine, hehehe.

The previous owner's wife disappeared back in the 80's. She was never found and the detective told us that they visited him every couple of years since it is still an open case. They didn't know the house was sold and the guy moved. The big joke at my house is, every time I till up the garden or something, the wife asks me if I dug up any old bones. When we ripped down the walls for some renovation, we were searching for 2 things, a big bag of money stashed in the walls, or a pile of bones, LOL.

Yeah, but, they were just training at your place. They were looking for the body of the previous owner's first wife at mine, hehehe.

The previous owner's wife disappeared back in the 80's. She was never found and the detective told us that they visited him every couple of years since it is still an open case. They didn't know the house was sold and the guy moved. The big joke at my house is, every time I till up the garden or something, the wife asks me if I dug up any old bones. When we ripped down the walls for some renovation, we were searching for 2 things, a big bag of money stashed in the walls, or a pile of bones, LOL.

It's the basement walls ya gotta watch, But make sure you get some good shots of them bones if ya find'em, Also if you find cash...keep your mouth shut, reasently a contractor found just that. About $180,000 stashed in a wall during the great depression and squealed and squabbled with the home owner over the cut....in the end neither one got a whole hell of a lot of it, only a few thousand dollars. The court devided it up amung the decendants of the former owner who stashed it there.

No. You are not the only one. I'm quite obsessed, too. My family all but hates me because I am constantly flashing them with my newly discovered growth, known as my CAMERA.
I recently bought a Crumpler 6MDH, so that I could carry my camera with a prime attached, a spare lens, my SB600, and my wallet. It goes just about everywhere with me.

I've spent well over $3,000 since May on this hobby and I have a fisheye lens on the way because I cannot stop thinking about all the awesome fisheye winter shots I can get.

There hasn't been a day that's gone by since May that I have not touched my camera, or read something to help me improve my photography.

i think i am, i don't even have a camera yet. oh btw, first post

Most reactions

New Topics

Back