are photographers above everyone else?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Shadowbox, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowbox

Shadowbox New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Doing anything to achieve a pic, like breaking local guidelines and rules- does being a photographer exclude you from things like.. 'don't feed the animals here (ducks/dear/bear)'.. 'don't climb down these dunes they are protected' ..etc etc

Where I go to practice photography its clear not to feed the ducks but another photographer was there feeding them just so she could get pictures. I have seen people climbing on our protected dunes, which you're really not supposed to do because they are fragile plus it's dangerous, just to get photos. I'm sure there are other situations where one see's things like 'state law don't do this' or even just a simple guideline of 'don't feed ducks' etc .. so why do some photographers think that since they have a camera they can break all of these rules just to get the perfect shot?
  2. e.rose

e.rose Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,730 / 0
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Photographers aren't above anyone else... They're just more willing to take more risks than the average Joe. Im pretty sure all of us are well aware of the consequences, we just cross our fingers and hope for the best, haha. No one is doing anything thinking "but officer, I'm a photographer!" will get them out of trouble. ;)
  3. Dagwood56

Dagwood56 Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +243 / 0
    I don't think this situation is limited just to photographers. This is about the the type of person they are in general. I'm sure the people you mention break lots of other rules too when they don't have a camera -simply because they are of the belief that "the rules weren't made for them."
  4. investmenttechnology

investmenttechnology New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    as long as you're not breaking the law and you have a thick skin, I'd say go for it.

embarrassment is temporary, perfect shot is forever.
  5. Shadowbox

Shadowbox New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Well I'm not a prude really. I just care about wildlife and nature, so it bothers me when I see people thinking that the rules are not for them or that it's okay to break them once in a while. They are there for a reason. So it's not like I'm going to call the cops, I just know that soon the ducks will be dependent on people if they keep getting fed and soon the dunes will be completely lost if they keep getting trampled on .. I know it's not just photographers, but I do wonder if people sometimes think having a camera sets them apart and gives them a good enough reason to not care.
  6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,963 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    A lot of people with cameras also end up camera blind. That is they keep looking through the viewfinder only and not at their surroundings or situation. It means they are likely to ignore/miss/overlook warnings or restricted areas to get the photo they want. If they are leading to damage then a quick shout to remind them and call them back normally works on pull most out of "the zone" (whatever that is ;)).

Certainly in wildilfe some people take silly risks in pushing closer and closer whilst putting the wildlife and themselves at risk just to get the photo without any training nor experience.
  7. analog.universe

analog.universe New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I don't trespass private property, cause folks get stressed out about that sort of thing, and I don't mess with nature.. trampling dunes and what have you. Take only pictures, leave only footprints isn't a good enough guideline when it comes to the wilderness, some footprints are devastating over time! But the law on the other hand.... : ) "park closes at dusk", "road washed out, no entry", "no parking between 2am and 4am", "beach for town residents"... I don't take that stuff very seriously if I'm trying to get a shot.
  8. GooniesNeverSayDie11

GooniesNeverSayDie11 Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +203 / 0
    I think that although sometimes rules/signs are not noticed due to being focused on a shot, that photographers as a whole need to follow rules simply as a courtesy and out of respect for other photographers. Its the people that are disrespectful that paint this profession as a bunch of @ssholes. [see paparazzi] Rules are usually there for a reason, even if you don't understand or comprehend that reasoning. However, there are some cases, where rules are used unlawfully ( by someone who has no authority to apply such rules ). Also, a photographer should know the difference between rules and laws. One you go for jail/get fined for, and at most, you can be asked to leave for breaking the other. However, in cases where your breaking of a posted rule causes damage ( dead animal from being fed bad food, you leaning over a barrier and dropping your camera on someone below etc.. ) you will be held liable.

I am a firm believer that people skills are a requirement for this profession. Usually you can get around rules by speaking to those who make them and getting an exception made for you. Whether that's by bartering pictures, or simply chatting people up. In most cases, you end up getting even better access than you would have had you simply broken the rules.
  9. aliancer

aliancer New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Your example is not an unusual "violation". I'd say he's taking the risk of "break the law from the blondspot". I believe he's not going to do that if anyone in charge around...
    About the camera, it's like the first reply, not only photographers, anyone can do that if they have willingness to take the risk.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
  10. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ive definitely succumb to this camera blindness. Ive definitely knocked over a few drinks at concerts while leaning around people...
  11. e.rose

e.rose Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,730 / 0
    ^^^Haha... it certainly isn't. It applies to musicians too :lol: ... when my husband was on a tour they stopped at the Grand Canyon... he decided to go climbing because... well... he loves climbing. Except he had to climb over a fence prohibiting anyone from going *past* the fence due to dangerous, steep ledges to do so. :lol:

Apparently people were pointing and going "OH MY GOD LOOK! SOMEONE'S CLIMBING!" and snapping pictures of him.

Someone promised to e-mail him a copy of a picture of him, but they never did. :grumpy:

They were probably trying to turn him in for some reward or something. Yeah. That's it. :lmao:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GooniesNeverSayDie11

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +203 / 0
    . It would have been more " :lmao: " if he ended up as a spot at the bottom of the Canyon. Its idiots like your husband that ruin the national parks for other people.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dagwood56

Dagwood56 Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +243 / 0
    This reminds me so much of my husband. He went to a state park and lots of the pathways and waterfalls were roped off with yellow caution tape. It had been quite rainy and many of the trails were washed out or quite slippery.....didn't stop him though, he went around the tape! He said "It wasn't as bad as park rangers made it out to be." Of course when he got caught in a sudden downpour and tried to run for the car he slipped, fell and broke the camera - which sadly was MINE!! I could have killed him!! But anyway, he is one who "the rules were not made for." and he never learns his lesson. I learned mine though -never loan him anything!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. GooniesNeverSayDie11

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +203 / 0
    There was a woman who died very recently hiking Half Dome in Yosemite. There are warnings not to hike when the rock is wet because it is very slippery. There is a portion that is very steep and has makeshift handrails to help the ascent, but she slipped and went off the edge. That is why the warning is there. Granted a warning is not a "rule" but nonetheless, they are there for a reason. Heres another story that happened very recently. 3 Hikers Swept Over Falls At Yosemite National Park Believed To Be Dead | FoxNews.com This one involved going around barriers.

The other issue with the Grand Canyon ( and likewise other places ) is that you also can affect others. Its not funny when you slough off some debris or kick a rock over the edge, and the people hiking below, or riding burros down into the canyon, catch it on the top of their head. Most people don't think of that, they just think "I won't fall, whats the big deal" . As stated above, you should assume that the rules are there for a reason even if you can't fathom why.
  15. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +5,241 / 0
    This was a tourist who ventured beyond a sign that said:"danger, rock may seem stable but it is cracked and unsteady."
    He retreated when the larger rock began to quiver a bit as he put his weight on it.

This larger rock stuck out over a 200 or 300 foot drop.

I had my shutter on multiple fast exposures - just in case.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
  16. christian.rudman

christian.rudman New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I wish you could have caught the inevitable fall! dumas...
  17. Gaerek

Gaerek New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Just to add to this. You break a law, there's the consequence of potential fine or jail. But you can get jailtime/fine for breaking rules on private property also. Yes, most times you will just get asked to leave, but the property owners are within their rights to call the police to remove the "trespasser" if you break their rules. This is why if a rent-a-cop at the mall asks you to quit shooting (your camera, of course) you probably should or you could be cited with trespassing.
  18. GooniesNeverSayDie11

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +203 / 0
    But there are laws that allow property owners to do that. If you are on someones property and it says "no cameras" and you sneak in a camera, you are not going to be arrested, but will probably be thrown out. However, if the police ARE called to remove you from the premises you can be, just the same as that person can call the police and there are other laws to be used at the officers discretion ( and based on your behavior ) as in disturbing the peace. That all changes when its a government installation though.

I get the point you were making though, the distinction between law and rule, is not always an easy one. That was the point I was making though as well. As a photographer, if you shoot alot of journalism or documentary, you should become well versed on your rights and what limits you can reasonably push and get away with if you absolutely have to.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  19. Gaerek

Gaerek New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. :)

I was just trying to point out that it's not as easy as saying "Laws will get you fined/jailed, rules will simply get you removed." I've broken my fair share of rules to get the shot I was looking for. Never been cited for trespassing, but been told to leave many times. I try and use my judgement, of course.

"Trespassers will be shot." on a sign means I stay away. "Park closed between 10pm and 6am" on a sign means I won't have to worry about crowds for 8 hours each day. :)
  20. GooniesNeverSayDie11

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +203 / 0
    I know, I wasn't trying to come off as defensive, was just clarifying a little more of what I meant.:sexywink:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.