Are Slingbags a Good Choice?

Vinny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 30 YO shoulder bag that my gear is in, it served its purpose back then but it's time to get a new bag. My equipment is minimal - A D90, 18-105 zoom, 70 - 300 zoom, a polarizing filter, a couple of extra SD cards and lens cleaning kit with a big rocket blaster. Only other equipment I may add if and when I get the funds is a flash and maybe some other filters.

What I want from the bag is to hold all of my gear, which I am assuming with my list that shouldn't be a problem, possibly with either lens attached to the D90 and a little extra room for wallet and keys.

I'm thinking about a Lowepro 202 or a Kata 3N1-20. I saw the Lowepro 200 and it seemed OK, only saw the Kata on-line but like the concept of of it converting to a backpack and it seemed to have the same features as the 202. I also saw here that the Lowepro Versapack can also be used like a slingbag but it seems more of a backpack with a lower compartment to hold the gear.

I like the concept of not having to take a backpack off to use the camera and not having a camera dangling around my neck. My question is - does the slingbag concept seem to work? For those of you who own one of these models - any pros or cons with the design.

Thanks for your help!

i got a slingbag and getting gears out while standing and changings lens by swinging the bag infront of you is possible.

Also, you can swing your bag infront of you to act as a platform to rest your hand on for a more stablized shot.

Any bag that works for you and protects your gear is a good bag. Personally I don't use slings and only one backpack. Mostly shoulder bags of various sizes and pelican cases. Depends on your needs and preferences.

I decided on the Kata 3N1-30. It's a not much bigger than the 20 but it seems if I want to keep the larger lens on the camera I need the 30 since its a little wider. I got a good price on Ebay and hopefully the transaction will go smoothly and the bag won't be a knock off; although I guess I'll never know!!!

I find a sling good for a small to moderate amount of gear. If it gets too heavy, you might want to go for a normal backpack, rather than carrying lots of weight over one shoulder. But I do use the swing around to the front works quite well.

A colleague of mine has the Lowepro Slingshot 300, it's a large sling bag. It looks pretty good. What I like is that it has a full waist belt, so that it would be really good for hauling a bunch of gear on a long hike, but it's still a large back, which may not be ideal for day to day use.

The Kata 3N1-30 is just slightly larger than the Lowepro Slingshot 202. It is wider but less deep and very slightly taller. I measured the D90 with the 70-300 attached to it and I had to go with the 30 in order to keep that lens attached, if and when I do want it attached. I was a little concerned about it's size but I can't have everything and decided to have more room and dealing with a larger bag is better than needing room ... you should see my old shoulder bag!

Sling bags are awesome especially somewhere dirty where you cannot put your camera bag down.

I have the Lowepro Slingshot AW 300

It is a good bag as I fit:

- Canon eos 500n (film camera)
- Canon 580ex II flash + ettl lead + diffser
- Rocket blower + lens cloth
- filters (i stack them up)
- 5 film rolls
- 18-55mm lens
- 70-300mm lens
- Canon 450D + 50mm

that is in the main compartment (i stack a lot of it ontop of other things, most important stuff on top.)

the only problem is: the top compartment, it is tiny, it is good for filters, leads, sd cards, straps and stuff, but I use it for bottles of water (tight fit.)
if they removed the top compartment, I think it would be better as I could then fit in my laptop.

there is also a "hidden" compartment on the back of the bag where the rain cover sits, good for things you dont want people to find, wither that be SD Cards you want to keep as spares (incase of prying hands.) or hard drives to carry with you or business cards and stuff.

then there is the front compartment where there is sd card slots, slots for business cards, and stuff like that.

I got it for £40 from another forum I used to go on

The guy advertised as a 200 aw
but he realised when he cleaned the bag out (unfortunate, I could have gotten a free lens :p) but he realised it was 300 aw but never changed price.

came in really good condition too.

But for long walks, it gets uncomfortable.

I was thinking of buying a messenger bag for my kit instead (just some of it.) do I can fit my laptop in it and take it to college.
just money is quite tight atm x[

I have the LP AW200. Love the bag mostly. If loaded for bear, it works very hard on your left shoulder for an all day hike. Best to lighten the load for essentials only.

A sales person mentioned to me that a slingshot might not be the most comfortable bag for women, especially endowed women because the strap lays across the chest.

For the all day adventures I got the LP Flipside for its double shoulder straps.

I bought a sling bag Lowpro as my first back and I am ready to trade it in. I need something bigger. It can only fit my camera D90 with lens attached and two extra lenses. Yes I can fit in a couple filters etc but my rocket blower wont fit and if I want to put my wallet/phone etc in I cant. I want something where I can fit 3 to 4 extra lenses but has the same capability so make sure you have room to grow in whatever you purchase.

Vanguard makes a decent bag too the Uprise models. I have the Up Rise 42. I like it a lot... I would not go any bigger than that for a sling bag because holding any more gear over one shoulder can start to wear you down.

I thought I had followed up on this but I see I didn't.

I purchased the Kata 3N1-30 bag. It is convertible to a backpack from a sling and there is one configuration that it can be used like a sling in backpack mode. I liked the option to have a backpack if it gets too heavy for one shoulder. I was able to put all of my gear listed and there is still more room in it. If I were to not carry the D90 battery charger and cables I would have a couple of more slots for equipment as well. It also looks like it will take a battery grip on the D90 if I ever get one. The top compartment is virtually empty so I should have room for anything non photography on top.

It's a large bag! But after stuffing my new equipment into my old bag and seeing how well it didn't fit I like the fact all my gear is together and well secured.

Most reactions

Back