Are straight horizons overrated?

I don't think it's a bad thing to strive for when shooting landscapes, even when the subject of the photo (such as the one of the lion pride) isn't actually the landscape.

Straight horizons are definitely not over-rated, but there's a time and place for everything and also times where the straightness of the horizon is not important enough to outweigh the rest of the photo.

I'm not sure who or what you are complaining about, but it is a discussion, and pretty good one IMO. People have no right to offer an opinion, but you have a right to tell them they can't? Umm, no.

I didn't say that.
People have a right to an opinion about their own beliefs but that right doesn't extend to tearing down others.
There is a marked difference between those who express an opinion as 'I think that horizons should be handled this way or that blabedy, blah, blah....................................' and those who say 'I think this way and everyone else who thinks the other way is unknowing, ignorant and/or stupid.'

The first is someone telling how he or she thinks without making any value judgement about others.
The second is an attempt to make their own opinion more important by tearing down others.

Clearer?

I'm not sure who or what you are complaining about, but it is a discussion, and pretty good one IMO. People have no right to offer an opinion, but you have a right to tell them they can't? Umm, no.

I didn't say that.
People have a right to an opinion about their own beliefs but that right doesn't extend to tearing down others.
There is a marked difference between those who express an opinion as 'I think that horizons should be handled this way or that blabedy, blah, blah....................................' and those who say 'I think this way and everyone else who thinks the other way is unknowing, ignorant and/or stupid.'

The first is someone telling how he or she thinks without making any value judgement about others.
The second is an attempt to make their own opinion more important by tearing down others.

Clearer?

My apologies, I misread the first time, I think we actually agree here. Serves me right for posting during an allergy attack induced bout with insomnia. :)

I try to get my horizons straight. I also try to get my framing right in camera and don't crop very often. Sometimes I will get a slightly crooked horizon and choose to leave it vs loosing part of the image. But yeah, it bugs me :p

My old photo where the horizon is tilted so much it is not even funny, and it is water.. still, I prefer it this way. The shadow of this woman "behind the bars" makes this photo to me.

St._Seller_Ness_930.jpg

My old photo where the horizon is tilted so much it is not even funny, and it is water.. still, I prefer it this way. The shadow of this woman "behind the bars" makes this photo to me.

View attachment 87608

This example has absolutely nothing to do with the original photo and what was being discussed with respect to it.
Nice shot by the way.

What does that even mean?
Migrant mother was a set up the children were not her children
Dorothea Lange shot it in 1935 at Nipomo California for the FSA
I prefer John Vachon's Children of farmer in Ozarks Missouri 1940

Last edited:
I misspoke. What does that have to do with anything? I'm pretty familiar with the photo and its story.

Migrant mother was a set up the children were not her children
Dorothea Lange shot it in 1935 at Nipomo California for the FSA
I prefer John Vachon's Children of farmer in Ozarks Missouri 1940

Relevance?

Perhaps the point is that despite slightly missed focus, despite the forbidden interaction between photographer and subject, despite the fact that it was not shot with a Leica (disaster! sin! EVIL!) the horizon is level, so Migrant Mother is OK.

View attachment 87608

This example has absolutely nothing to do with the original photo and what was being discussed with respect to it.
Nice shot by the way.

Tilted horizon line?
(But yes, there are no lions in my image, sorry)

I try to get my horizons straight. I also try to get my framing right in camera and don't crop very often. Sometimes I will get a slightly crooked horizon and choose to leave it vs loosing part of the image. But yeah, it bugs me :p
I sometimes tilt mine just to annoy people.

Most reactions

Back