Are the D3s of the world killing fast lenses?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by FidelCastrovich, Oct 25, 2007.

1. FidelCastrovich

FidelCastrovich TPF Noob!

Well, that's basically the whole discussion.

When we're able to shoot at ISO 6400- which is close to science fiction if you ask a photog. from the 70s - do we really need to have zoom lenses that are f2.8 or faster? I mean, the fast primes will hold their ground, i'm sure - superior IQ and such.
    But a 16-35 f2.8? 70-200 2.8? Who needs the weight and the size when you can just bump the ISO up a notch, or two, or all the way to 25000?

Is "the chip" pulling the carpet from underneath the quest for the fastest lens? Are the photo companies shooting themselves in the leg?

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Aperture is a not only a factor of exposure. It also controls depth of field.

3. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    No, the D3's of the world are enhancing the effectiveness of fast lenses. Fast lenses plus higher ISO = expanded creativity & more options.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Most people will always want more...few of them will be satisfied enough to give up something that was previously so coveted...and the camera companies feed this behavior happily.

There may be a few, or even more than a few photographers who opt for F4 lenses rather than F2.8...but there are millions more who won't be happy until they are getting sharp hand held shots at 3 seconds, shooting noise free at ISO 128000, using a 16 billion color gamut and getting a 15 stop range in one exposure. :er:

5. nossie

nossie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  6. FidelCastrovich

FidelCastrovich TPF Noob!

But that's a side dish, never the MAIN reason people invest in fast lenses.
    When a sports photographer chooses a 300 f2, he does so to allow for faster shutter speeds, mostly . A 300mm from 80 ft will give you a pretty shallow DOF, at 2.8 as well as at 4.

sabath999-These enhancements make me feel like i used to feel when i employed cheat codes in computer games. It's fun to have unlimited armor and ammo, but i makes the game a total bore. My opinion is that limitations make us think and adapt and explore.
    But that's just me - I'm Russian, we thrive under limitations. Too much freedom feels awkward. :)

Big Mike - So do you feel these changes/upgrades/improvements/developments (otherwise blessed and welcome) are detrimental to Photography?

Nossie - looks interesting, i'll give it a read tomorrow.

7. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know about you, but depth of field is never a side dish to my images. It's a huge factor in how I shoot, and I think the same is true for most photographers who impart creativity into their photography. Sports photographers are not the only photographers investing in fast glass. (and I'm not saying that sports photogs are not creative either)

8. Jestev

Jestev TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I disagree with you, here. I don't want a f/2.8 lens just because it's faster than a f/4-5.6. It's got better DOF and I love being able to have a wide range when it comes to DOF.

I don't think improvements of camera bodies will ever make lenses (of any variety) un-needed. As camera bodies become better and better, photographers will be able to push the line between possible and impossible even further and come closer to it. I think that what it does, if anything, is enable photography as an art to continue to evolve much better than many other art forms.

9. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I buy fast lenses for more than one reason. The better light gathering is one factor but it is equal to depth of field plus a faster lens is sharper than a slower one. Honestly a statement like this makes me seriously question your knowledge. Besides seriously fast film has been around alot longer than you might think.

10. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I get your point and I believe you are correct. Lens manufactures are psyched that the standard is 2.8 or smaller. Personally my work is generally at ƒ8 or smaller. None the less I have a Nikon 50mm ƒ1.4. I have scene the Leica ƒ1.0 not a pretty sight.

Love & Bass

11. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love my fast glass, and plan to use it just as much if not more when the D3 gets here. The DOF isolation with the big aperture is just very special. Being able to use it in low light hand held is so sweet, I'll never let go of them. Hopefully them manufactures will only promote big/fast glass even more.

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Then there's the general quality issues with the f/2.8 lenses. They are generally made for more serious types rather than consumers so even if it weren't for the light or the DOF a f/2.8 lens at f/5.6 is often significantly sharper than their kit equivalents.