are these any good?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by santino, May 2, 2005.

1. santino

santino TPF Noob!

...x-ray protection bags like that one

[​IMG]

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never tried one. I'd be interested in knowing that, too. You still have to hope the airport inspectors don't just tear into it. I've taken to shipping film in advance to my destination whenever I can, and when I can't, I ask for a hand inspection, and just wait it out. :)

3. santino

santino TPF Noob!

cause it's 3 bucks on e-bay and it says that you can store high speed film to 1000 ISO.

4. BernieSC

BernieSC TPF Noob!

yes they really work because of the lead linning. The only thing is, if you have that in a bag that goes through x ray the inspector is going to see a blank area and probably want to see what it is and what is in it. So it works but they will probably be alerted because it will not show what it is on x ray because it is doing what it is designed to do. you would be better off getting to the airport in enough time to show them the film and let it bypass xray. And usually unless you are shooting very high speed film chances are x ray will not harm the film. I have had film x rayd before and it did not hurt it. But theres always a chance if you do.

5. K_Duffer

K_Duffer TPF Noob!

I've used them in the past, but not recently. I've taken film with ISO800 through airport carry-on x-ray and have found no ill effects (I'm sure you will find hundreds of posting on the internet to the contrary). What I've heard is that if you use one of these bags, the x-ray technician will actually turn up the x-ray to try to see what you have and that may negate some of the benefits of having the bag in the first place. In the end, they will want to hand check your bag to make sure you don't have anything in there that you're not supposed to.

In the U.S., you can aways ask for a hand inspection, especially if you have high speed film (but no guaranty that they will grant this to you).

Don't ever put film in check-in luggage as those go through much stronger x-rays that will definitely damage your film (there are usually a lot of warnings about that at the airport).

I also heard that a lot of mail actually gets x-rayed so I'm not sure that's necessarily an option if you are worried about x-ray damage. I've called FedEx and UPS before and they also told me they randoming x-ray packages.

As I said, I wouldn't worry too much about it in general because I think potential damage caused by carry-on luggage x-ray is a bit overrated, but if you are worried about it:

(1) buy film when you get to a location and have it processed before you leave

(2) shoot digital.

Everything I said above is caveated to U.S., Australia, Tahiti, Japan and Korea only since I have not flown through any other countries with film. I heard some countries may have x-rays at carry-on luggage that may be much stronger and thus have the potential to damage film.

6. Contra|Brett|

Contra|Brett| TPF Noob!

The x-ray machines for carry on stuff isn't powerful enough to fog your film. If it is ISO 800 or above, you will probobly be granted a hand check if you so request. If you put your film through in a lead lined bag, they'll probobly just dump it in a bin, and put it back through the x-ray. It seems to be the new common theme among the TSA agents, who BTW are trained online.

If you have ISO 800+ film, you will probobly be granted a hand check.

I wouldn't mail my film simply because i don't know what the mail peeps do with stuff.
    If you pack film in a lead lined checked bag, the tech will open your bag, dump your film out, and put it through the x-ray. They don't give a crap about your film.

I took 20 rolls (Reala 100, Superia 400, Ultra Color 100, and Ultra Color 400) through 14 carry on x-rays and there is no hint of fogging, even when i lighten the density 15 stops, you still do not see x-ray lines.

Like duffer says, you film doesn't stand a chance against checked bag x-rays, it's screwed, don't do it.

And continuing the what duffer said thing, a hand check is not always granted.