Are these any good?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up these lenses from the camera club. What do you think of these lenses?

_MG_5678.jpg

I've tried one of those 35-80mm ... it will work fine on any modern Canon DSLR. The sharpness is OKish, but the contrast of the images is quite low and the colours have a bit of a cast to them. All correctable in post, or you can leave it more or less as it is if you want images with an 80's feel to them! Autofocus speed is reasonable.

In terms of producing clean images, the modern kit lens is much better.

I haven't tried the 35-135mm; I imagine it could be fun for a few portraits but don't expect too much.

The chances of you getting Canon's bayonet fit lens hoods for these lenses are slim to none.

However, on eBay there seems to be a plentiful supply of lens hoods that screw onto the lens's filter thread. For the 35-80mm, search eBay for "52mm hood". I'm not sure the filter size of the 35-135mm, but it'll be printed on the lens.

Unless a lens is telephoto only, it's generally safer to go for the flower / petal design hoods (instead of the ones that are just tube-like), to avoid vignetting.

Last edited:
Actually, this lenses are not too bad. They are lightweight compared to newer lenses. My only complaint is these don't have image stablization.

I don't have image stabilization on any of my lenses. Never had issues shooting without IS even on my 70-200 f2.8 or 300 f4

Most reactions

New Topics

Back