Are these filters junk?

CW Jones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone tell me about Quantaray filters? Are they just junk and not worth it? I found a ND and a CPL for like $35 locally.... I dont want to get them if they are total junk tho

Thanks!

I don't know who makes them, but if that price is for the pair, then to can be pretty sure that they Are junk. At 35 a peice they might be ok quality. Filters are one of those things that you get what you pay for.

Hoya would be a better filter? I thought it was one of the better ones hoya and tiffen or something like that?

You really have to consider your cost of equiptment vs your use, if you just shoot as a hobby and occasionally need a polarizer or ND, than cheap filters may be the ticket. For general hobby use the may be just fine. Now if you are a pro, or making large fine art prints, the quality will be a much bigger factor. You can easily spend between $15and $200+ for some filters, you just need to consider where your needs end up in that range.

Anyway, based on your current equiptment and the price of the filters, I say give them a try, they may be all you need, and you don't end up nedlessly spending hundereds of dollars on filters. Or you may discover that you want something better, and resell the cheap ones for about the same price you paid.

alright thanks! I decided to just pass on them and get a hoya one from adorama

As for the use... right now its just casual, but once school starts again in the fall I am hoping to get a connection on campus to shoot some of the games for football and soccer and basketball but by then I will have a 70-200 F4 lol

And I just ordered a Tiffen Cir. Pol. from Adorama for under $20 and I have heard good about Tiffen so I know it will be a decent filter at least

Remember that although you get what you pay for, quality to price is not linear.

Your $10 filter could do 95% as well as your $40 filter. You're paying $30 for the last 5%. On some things this may be worth it (polarizer perhaps?), but for some things you might say, "You know what? I can spend this money somewhere else and get more out of my dollar."

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get caught up in the idea you HAVE to get the absolute best of everything. Cause a $10 filter is better than the one you can't afford and don't have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back