Are these guys legitimate online sellers?

Jleda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, I'm planning to buy a Canon 5D and I've run into a few problems with online merchants: I don't know which ones are legitimate! I've found some good prices with the following online stores but please let me know if you've had any experiences with them...

1 way photo
Sonic Cameras
Lenses N' More

I've read bad reviews on all of them preventing me from buying, but I'm also wondering if competitors set up bad reviews to hurt their reputations.

And, do you know of any credible, trustworthy online stores that sell affordable Canon 5d's?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not familiar with any of the ones you've listed; I do know that Androma, B&H and Amazon are all reputable, and unless you personally know someone that has good experience with another seller, I would stay away from it. Better to spend a little extra money at a known seller than to get ripped off or have to deal with endless "delays" and high-pressure salesmen. At least that's my opinion. Your milage may vary.

~John

No...check Battou's link from resellerratings.com. This question comes up at least a few times a month on this forum.

There is another company called Broadway Photo (some of these might be the same company) and they will have 10 or 15 names under the one so they will appear to be different companies, but they all are just set up to rip you off.

There is no way you're going to get a 5D for $1200 brand new, unless it's a scam.

The best deal you will probably find from a reputable dealer online are from B&H or Adorama...the going rate for a *legit* 5D is $1900 - they just dropped the price recently.

No...check Battou's link from resellerratings.com. This question comes up at least a few times a month on this forum.

There is another company called Broadway Photo (some of these might be the same company) and they will have 10 or 15 names under the one so they will appear to be different companies, but they all are just set up to rip you off.

There is no way you're going to get a 5D for $1200 brand new, unless it's a scam.

The best deal you will probably find from a reputable dealer online are from B&H or Adorama...the going rate for a *legit* 5D is $1900 - they just dropped the price recently.

-300 instant rebate from BH right now.

Great - THANKS! Your opinions really help. I'll buy from B&H. I had no idea online companies may go under a few different names simply to rip everyone off. I've read different reviews and the buyers all experienced "bait and switch" salesman.

I would not recommend anywhere else but Adorama, B&H, or Abes of Maine.

If any place has a really cheap price on something.....it is not legit.
BE CAREFUL.

Some search result sites will list a number of sellers and prices, then a star type review. For instance, one seller with a D80 body 1/3 off the other places....search site said five stars out of five, and thousands of reviews....that was bull. Search for the seller to see some reviews, and I found out each review was a horror story.

You get what you pay for. No free lunch.

What do people not get?

There is only a handful of legit online sellers.

Any well known company ie Best Buy, Amazon, whatever

B&H

Adorama

Keh

Freestyle

and any seller with which you have some sort of prior knowledge or experience of being good

ANY others aren't worth the time, IMO

What do people not get?

There is only a handful of legit online sellers.

Any well known company ie Best Buy

B&H

Adorama

Keh

Freestyle

ANY others aren't worth the time, IMO

For one simple reason, nine times out of ten these peope are looking to purchase their first camera, after finding out just how expencive it really is they begin looking for the best price possible.

And this is what they find, If you sort a google products list from low to high you get pages upon pages of sellers that are frauds.

Try it sometime, you'll be disgusted at what you see.

Add to the DO NOT BUY FROM list: Ace Photo and Digital. They are an outside seller at Amazon and you can also find them thru Google and other reseller market places. I found a great deal on a Sandisk Compact Flash Card with free shipping and was sent a card wo any manufactures packaging, documentation, etc. They literally sent me the card in the little plastic storage case. I was told by the "manager" it was a legit card and thats how they received them from Sandisk. I left negative feedback on Amazon and was threatend to remove it or I would not be refunded. To make a long story short I got intouch with Amazon and my credit card and I was refunded the money. This company also has a couple different names.

Spend the extra money and know who your buying from. And be very careful if it is a Brooklyn NY Address.

Oh and my negative feedback stayed up :mrgreen::lol:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Ace_Photo_Digital_Store

PS card was a counterfeit!

I appreciate your replies! I bought from B&H for about $1900 and my experience has been great.

Good thing about getting through Amazon is that they are ultimately responsible - may be a pain to deal through them, but you know you are "safe".

Glad you chose B&H. Sometimes I think my company shoud send my paycheck directly to them - ends up there eventually anyways :(

Most reactions

Back