Are these shots any good?

I was of the mentality that I should just shoot first and ask questions later at this point, to get a feel for what makes things look good. But I guess that's not a good idea.
You were correct with the last sentence. The forethought of taking an outstanding photo should be while looking throught the viewfinder and before you press the shutter.

Take the critique that celery gave as a free learning session. He's not far off. I think you have potential talent, but you have to develop that raw and turn it into your style. Remember the saying/song that you have to be cruel to be kind.

Keep shooting, keep posting and keep learning. Pick up a copy of Understanding Exposure.

You were correct with the last sentence. The forethought of taking an outstanding photo should be while looking throught the viewfinder and before you press the shutter.

Take the critique that celery gave as a free learning session. He's not far off. I think you have potential talent, but you have to develop that raw and turn it into your style. Remember the saying/song that you have to be cruel to be kind.

Keep shooting, keep posting and keep learning. Pick up a copy of Understanding Exposure.

This is strange, cause I just picked up that book tonight, at the same EXACT time you posted this.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. I think the part that hurt my feelings is when he told me that some of the photos weren't worth keeping. I was thinking to myself that if these aren't good then I don't have any photos that are worth keeping. But I think I get what he means...

K I don't have time to read all the comments but that first person who responded should have just kept their comment to themselves. Of course work comes with trying to be a professional photographer, work comes with everything, the guys not looking for a life lesson. Dude, Photo 1, 3, and 5 really do it for me considering you took them with a point and shot. The composition is good and thats what every photographer needs. You have the right ideas, all the next steps come with upgrading. Don't listen to someone who says "Oh, It's hard work, good luck with that". You'll get better with every picture you take.

Jeez, some people need to stop posting comments.

I'm afraid I need to disagree with what you are saying about the first comment given to these photos: that very first comment was quite important to having been given, since that was the only really critical critique given, and the one that speaks the truth. What are we here for if all we are supposed to ever say about photos is "Hey, good! Keep shooting!".

While the latter part of my example reply surely applies to each and everybody who is "into photography" and is wishing to learn and develop, the first rarely helps in cases where the photos are NOT so good. Why not point out when and where they are not so good?

And I cannot see where "celery" in his first post was rude or said something that shouldn't have been said.

The photos were posted in connection with the OP stating he was thinking of going pro. This gives an entirely different context to the range of replies that have to be expected than if he had said "These are the first photos taken with my new camera that I personally like, what do YOU think?" If "I want to go pro" is added to posting beginner's photos, said beginner needs to be prepared for some more serious critiquing!

And the kind of camera that was used to take the photos is absolutely minor and I thoroughly disagree with thinking that the "next step comes with updating".

If Photos 1, 3 and 5 do it for YOU, it still doesn't say that they are coming close to possible professional photography. And always keep in mind that these photos were posted with the addition that the poster means to become a professional.

So no: critical comments should NOT be kept to the member's mind who takes out the time to type up his critical thoughts (in the right words).

I'm afraid I need to disagree with what you are saying about the first comment given to these photos: that very first comment was quite important to having been given, since that was the only really critical critique given, and the one that speaks the truth. What are we here for if all we are supposed to ever say about photos is "Hey, good! Keep shooting!".

While the latter part of my example reply surely applies to each and everybody who is "into photography" and is wishing to learn and develop, the first rarely helps in cases where the photos are NOT so good. Why not point out when and where they are not so good?

And I cannot see where "celery" in his first post was rude or said something that shouldn't have been said.

The photos were posted in connection with the OP stating he was thinking of going pro. This gives an entirely different context to the range of replies that have to be expected than if he had said "These are the first photos taken with my new camera that I personally like, what do YOU think?" If "I want to go pro" is added to posting beginner's photos, said beginner needs to be prepared for some more serious critiquing!

And the kind of camera that was used to take the photos is absolutely minor and I thoroughly disagree with thinking that the "next step comes with updating".

If Photos 1, 3 and 5 do it for YOU, it still doesn't say that they are coming close to possible professional photography. And always keep in mind that these photos were posted with the addition that the poster means to become a professional.

So no: critical comments should NOT be kept to the member's mind who takes out the time to type up his critical thoughts (in the right words).

I'M SORRY PEOPLE!!! I feel like such a fool after reading this... I was TOTALLY not implying I'm good enough to be professional... I threw that in there just as a statement. It will probably be (I'm guessing) ten or twenty years before I'll know enough about this stuff professionally (it took Tiger woods 20 years of playing golf before he was a professional...lol!)

I created a monster. This was all about getting good criticism, and I turned into my little version of a soap-opera. I feel so dumb. And anyone who read this, please don't think I'm some sort of drama queen (king) or worse yet, someone who doesn't understand or appreciate how much thought, knowledge, and passion goes into a good photo. I wasn't asking for professional critique, I was just stating that the sky is the limit, and I don't plan on becoming complacent with my ability (or lack thereof) anytime soon.

I'm really sorry, once again. If all of this needs to be deleted (this is a photography forum, not a "make Senor feel better" forum), I totally understand.:meh:

I agree I just think that he could have been a bit more straight-forward and not beat around the bush as if this guy is oblivious.

... Maybe I'd just be better off doing this as a hobby. Its better to find out now than later, I guess.

If it is what you want then pursue it and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Don't take criticism too seriously or too much. Follow who you are and how you feel. Develop your judgement. I hope that's the last time you ever think like that.

Two things.

1) Composition. It is everything. With interestingly composed photos the next item doesn't matter so much and will work itself out.

2) Exposure. Not too light and not too dark- retention of details.

My opinion.

I'M SORRY PEOPLE!!! I feel like such a fool after reading this... I was TOTALLY not implying I'm good enough to be professional... I threw that in there just as a statement. It will probably be (I'm guessing) ten or twenty years before I'll know enough about this stuff professionally (it took Tiger woods 20 years of playing golf before he was a professional...lol!)

I created a monster. This was all about getting good criticism, and I turned into my little version of a soap-opera. I feel so dumb. And anyone who read this, please don't think I'm some sort of drama queen (king) or worse yet, someone who doesn't understand or appreciate how much thought, knowledge, and passion goes into a good photo. I wasn't asking for professional critique, I was just stating that the sky is the limit, and I don't plan on becoming complacent with my ability (or lack thereof) anytime soon.

I'm really sorry, once again. If all of this needs to be deleted (this is a photography forum, not a "make Senor feel better" forum), I totally understand.:meh:

no no no no no no no...

Don't do that.
Don't change your life based upon some comments. That's crazy. You want to be a pro photographer? Then go for it.

Not that you did, but you can't expect your first shots to be pro level. That's totally ok. If you just pickup a gun and shoot, are you gonna hit a bullseye on the first try? Can you pickup a trumpet for the first time and just start playing Tumpeter's Holiday? Can you just hop into a stock car and win the Indy 500 on the first try? No, no no no no no no... It takes practice and experience.

Even if you WERE a pro, not every shot is great, and not every shot comes out quite the way you expected. When I started doing this about 7 years ago, most of my shots were exposed horribly and the compositions were awful. I would throw away whole rolls of film on a regular basis. They all sucked. Now... I'm at a point in my career/hobby where about 90% of my shots are exposed properly... but only 75% of them are composed well and maybe 25% of them are like "Oh yeah, that's really cool! I like that!" I'm not certain, but I bet you a lot of pros would tell you something similar.

Are there people who may be better than you on day 1? Maybe. My buddy is a graphic artist trying to learn photography, and right out of the gate he has a better eye for composition than I do. Drives me wild. :mrgreen: Doesn't matter. If you keep at it, you will get better. Getting better at photography, like most things, is all about practice.

The biggest thing you need to get a handle on beyond that is to accept criticism, no matter how harsh. You will learn the most from people who will be honest with you. 1000 comments on "great shots!!!" won't do you crap, but one guy tearing your exposure apart like a wildman is worth a million bucks.

Keep at it.

I haven't read all the replies so forgive me if I repeat myself.

I actually don't think you should just trash them or that they've all been done before. Every photo, every piece of art, has been done before.

I think #3 is your best of the series, with 4 being the "worst" (the wheelbarrel one). I think once you know WHY that is so, you can improve.

3 would REALLY pop with post processing work. You woulud see an amzing picture emergy. Open up your levels and right away you will see a difference. Good luck.

Its kinda upsetting, I don't take criticism well, but I guess that's my problem. At least you aren't censoring how you feel, so that's very admirable.

These were my best photos... I know some of the subjects have been done a lot of times before, but not by me. I really was wanting to know if I'm any good considering (someone who's only been shooting on the weekends for about six months). Maybe that's bs, though, cause real photographers are just naturally better than me.

Shouldn't someone who is learning take lots and lots of photos (of sometimes less than desirable subjects)? I was of the mentality that I should just shoot first and ask questions later at this point, to get a feel for what makes things look good. But I guess that's not a good idea.

And as far as cropping in on the subject, I don't know how or I would have. I got Photoshop a couple of days ago, but I don't have a clue what I'm doing with it (I need a book... :wink: )

I kind of felt like I had to defend myself after your post, but I HONESTLY thank you for your criticism. Maybe I'd just be better off doing this as a hobby. Its better to find out now than later, I guess.

No photographer takes 100 shots and has 100 keepers. It just doesn't happen.

Me for example:
during a normal portrait shoot i may take 50 photos. out of those 50 i may keep 5-10. some days I do really well and other days I just suck at it.

when you ask for critiques or comments you will get responses from all sorts of ppl. some know what they are talking about and others don't have the first CLUE!!! some will critique your work and have never posted any of their own......sorta like an armchair quarterback.

YOU MUST KEEP SHOOTING NO MATTER WHAT!!! Everything gets better with practice and experience.

Your photos are not that bad. Better than I did when I first started out and now I do it for $$$$$ :) so you can too. Prolly just some fine tuning in post work would help them "pop". google "free photoshop tutorials" and you will see lots of them.....that's what i do :)

Get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. this book helps everyone.....even pros.
read everything you can about photography, study the masters, but most important........shoot LOTS of photos. learn from your photos. learn from other's photos. learn the rules of photography and then BREAK THOSE RULES!!
Remember this......photography is an individual's artistic interpretation of a particular subject.

Keep shooting. Good luck. Post your work.

Thanks, everyone. And THANK YOU, CELERY!!! I was obviously not ready for what you told me, but now it all makes sense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back