Are these worth buying?

Marissa.k1995

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Me and my sister are each getting a new camera for Christmas. I’m interested in the Canon Digital Rebel XSi, and she likes the NikonD5000. Does anyone on this forum have experience with either of these cameras, and if you have are they worth buying? Also are there any cameras you would recommend that are 700$ and lower. Preferably lower. ;)

I'm using the Canon 450D (which is the same as the Rebel) and I love it! It's a great starter DSLR! I have no experience with the Nikon. Of course I would recommend the Canon! ;)

Depends how much money you're working with.

nchips1
I can get a 700$ camera and lower

Well when I got my XSi, with another lens it was over $1000. And I don't particularly care for the kit lens, and I'm sure others can vouch for me (I hope) it's not that thrilling. I don't know if you're buying it online or from a store, used or new, or whatever... But I'd go with the XTi. I think. I'm not a genius, but I know another lens is going to bring you over your budget with the XSi.

Tamron lenses fit on Canon bodies and have decent prices. There not the best around but decent enough and when just starting the kit lens is quite nice. (but that's just my humble opinion... ;))

Tamron lenses fit on Canon bodies and have decent prices. There not the best around but decent enough and when just starting the kit lens is quite nice. (but that's just my humble opinion... ;))
I have an XSi and the Tamron I'm looking at right now is about $600. :3

I love Tamron, if you can find one under your budget then I'd say they're good to start out with (better than that pesky kit lens at least).

If you like XSi, of course, go get the XSi. But the issue is your sis like D5000. Both are great cameras and they can produce great images (as long as the person behind the camera can). Did you both try play around with them at the store?

Dao Well actually we are searching them on the internet, we haven't looked at them at the store yet. I looked at the reviews for the canon on amazon, and they were good but Im just really worried that the kit lens doesn't work good. So I think I am going to get a body only and then get a lens for it. Do you know a good canon camera body, that is around the price range of 600$ and lower. Also is there any Canon lens you recommend for people photography?

Last edited:
Canon?

The lenses Canon makes are good, but expensive. Sigma and Tamron lenses also fit Canon bodies. I know Tamron is a great deal cheaper. I bought an extra Tamron lens for about 100 euro, thinking its a nice way to try a zoom lens and not feel guilty about buying a new lens in a while. Tamron is not great, but for me it was good enough. I have no experience with Sigma lenses. I only know that they are more expensive (here in Holland) then Tamron lenses but the quality is higher as well.

nchips1 Im thinking about shooting people photography, but I also want to be able to get good nature photos.

Just make sure you both get the same brand so you can swap lenses.

Buy something simple and multi functional. When you have figured out what you prefer to shoot, then you can invest in a more expensive lens.

what about this lens? Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

Most reactions

Back