Are these worth buying?

I looked at the Nikon but the only one I would ever want to get would be the NikonD5000, and thats the one my sister wants. I dont want to get the exact same camera as her, but I wouldn't mind the same brand. I really like the Canon, but it would be a really good deal to get the same brand. Are there any other Nikon cameras just as good as the NikonD5000, but it has to be the around the same price? Or should we both get Canons, but she doesn't like the way they look? Are Canons better or are Nikons better? We will also look at them at the store.

Marissa,

Both Canon and Nikon make excellent cameras. I wouldn't say either brand is better than the other -- they are the top two brands and pretty equal overall. But I do agree with the others that said both you and your sister should really stick with the same brand -- that way you two can share lenses.

Between the XSi and D5000, I would lean towards the D5000 because it's generally a better camera than the XSi and also has a couple of nifty features the XSi does not have. One of them is video recording. Of course, a D5000 (or any DSLR) won't replace a real video camera but I think of it as a good feature to have in an "emergency" :)

Another is the rotating LCD. I know a few D5000 owners and they seem to love the rotating LCD. Again, it's not something that will make a huge difference since most people use the view finder to frame the pictures, but I can see it coming in handy sometimes -- like if you want to lift the camera over a crowd and take pictures etc.

I haven't heard of the D5000 shutting down unexpectedly. It's a very popular camera, so I wouldn't think there are any major problems with it. I've been using a different Nikon (D90) for a few months now and haven't had any problems like that.

If you decide to go with Canon, you should take a look at the Canon T1i as well. It's a bit more expensive than the XSi (maybe a bit over your $700 budget with a lens) but is more comparable to the D5000 in capabilities and features.

If you want a Nikon but not the D5000, your options are:
1. A step up from the D5000 is the Nikon D90. It's an excellent camera but also more expensive.
2. A step down from the D5000 is the Nikon D3000. I don't really know much about it.
3. A used D90 or D200 etc. This may actually be your best bet for $700 if you want a Nikon but don't want a D5000.

These are all very good cameras. I think you'll be happy with whichever ones you decide to get!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I think I'm going to get the Nikon D5000 now. I really like the Canon but it would be such a better deal to get the Nikon. Me and my sister can share lens and I think the Nikon is a really good camera. I think it might be a better camera as well. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back