Are these worth it?

Kirst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just been turned a little research on photography books I would like to get. What do you think of these two?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/104-4900928-0210343[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0817435522/ref=s9_asin_title_2/104-4900928-0210343?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=09V3NVR9328D4RPJD1NS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]

If there are better ones please post a link to them otherwise should i get these two or what?

Don't mean to be a pain but I would like to make decision very soon hopefully tonight so that I can possibly put the order through tonight, I plan to order from the USA.

I've heard many recommendations for the first one...I've never heard of the 2nd one though.

While there are a lot of things that are different in the digital era...the fundamentals of photography are still the same as they ever were. Therefore, all of the great books about 'film' photography, still have plenty of great info. Consider checking your local library.

Oh ok i am a beginner.

There are a ton of things on the net you can read to start off. Reading forums is a good place to start but don't spend all of your time there.

Do a search on aperture, depth of field, exposure, focus, hyper focus, composition and anything you can think of off the top of your head. If there is math involved then follow along and do the problems for yourself.

Don't concern yourself too much with digital or film, it's mostly all the same and the books saying they are for digital usually spend way too much time telling you what sort of camera to buy. (that is what forums are for ;))

At some point you need to read Ansel Adams' books on photography (there are 5). They are a little hard to read and much of them you won't use but you need to have at least heard of all of it.

The biggest thing is to go to your library and look through art books to see Great works of art and find what you like best. Pay attention to the style And the subject matter.

After you have some favorites, start to see how you can do the same with photos. Look to see how the subject was lit or rather where the lighting was from, where all of the main points of interest were placed in the picture. How the main subject was arranged or posed and so forth.

Keep a journal!! The thing that slows people down the most is not remembering what they have already done and doing it over.

good luck

mike

If you do a search on the forum you will find tons of refrences to the first book. I would also second the suggestion of trying your local library if you find something their you really like yo can later get it on Amazon.

Most reactions

Back