Are they in focus?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Southerngal, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Southerngal

Southerngal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This is not that great of a pic....Im aware of that. I was just wondering if they appear in focus? It seems that my 50mm 1.8 lens is great when I have one person, but add a few and Im just not happy with the results. Is it me?

[​IMG]

2. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it appears to be fine...though the shortest boy appears a little blurry...maybe he moved...I dono.
    Good pic though. Looks like a happy family...without that cliche "say cheese" thing.

3. jon_k

jon_k TPF Noob!

North Richland Hills (Ft. Worth suburb) TX
    Photos OK to edit
    Some lenses are soft around the edges. Unsure about this lens. You might read a review that tears the lens quality apart and you might learn about some limitations of the lens.

You shot at around f/6. And f/8 is usually the sharpest... but f/6 isn't far from f/8 so it should be pretty sharp. I'd also expect a prime to be sharper than a zoom. You say its sharp as a tack with close up portraits? So would you say when you get some distance between you and your subject it gets fuzzy (such as a group portrait situation)?

I am not an optical engineer, maybe the lens is mis calibrated somehow.

A little PP can help though. You said its OK to edit so I will. If a 5 second PP can make the problem better, I say don't worry ;-)

[​IMG]

4. Southerngal

Southerngal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Im actually working on the pic now....the Mother likes it. The one I posted had only been cropped a bit.

Im a bit of a technical dummy....calibration issue? How would I need to go about solving the problem...or figuring out the problem?

Thanks

5. Southerngal

Southerngal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks. They were very fun to work with :wink:

6. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Check your depth of field. What aperature are you shooting at? To get multiple subjects on different planes in focus, you might try to stop down a bit to increase DOF. That's probably why the front subject is a little off. A bit of sharpening may help.

7. Sweetsomedays

Sweetsomedays TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What Soylentgreen said :) Love the colors and soft effect on the shirts though. Did you add a blur and erase back or get that in camera? Either way, it's spiffy.

8. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    jon_k how can a lens be mis-calibrated on an SLR? The camera's autofocus unit works on the same image as the photographer sees and everything is done through the lens. I posted a rather large post last month about focusing issues not being the lenses fault and no one was able to come up with a logical explanation of how a lens error could cause the camera to focus incorrectly. Do you have any input on this?

Oh and with that edited version I would have preferred the sharpness layer to be masked onto only the subjects not the entire image, but that's personal taste stuff.

9. Southerngal

Southerngal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The first pic had only been cropped....no pp. Thanks!

Here is my final edit.....The mother really loved the warm tones, so I went with it.

[​IMG]

10. luis_relampago

luis_relampago TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice picture. They all look very sharp to me.

11. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    None of us can reliably judge whether this is in focus or not. It's a tiny jpg. You should be able to see clearly enough if you view the full res file at 100%.

12. JmPhotos

JmPhotos TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Be careful with your final edit Southerngal. It looks like you might have added a little too much saturation to your final edit. Your jeans turned purple. I only saw this because I did it too on a family pic. a few weeks ago. I was trying to get the fall colors in the background to pop more and ended up with purple jeans on the actual print from the lab.

Jodie