are they realy that bad!!??

photographs,

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How long have you been taking pictures with an active interest in photography?

From the three, I only like the third one, but I must say it's nothing spectacular. If the dragonfly filled more of the frame it would be more interesting. With the flower I like the tilted frame thing, but once again I would've filled the frame more with the flower (and probably tilted the frame even more... but that's just my personal preference). I fail to find any point of interest in the first one, both technically and composition wise - what did you find interesting that made you take that one? Can you explain your motive/point of interest?
I'm a beginner myself, but I find all three shot's quite beginner-ish/snapshot-ish in a sense that there might not have been too much though behind the picture taking process. Correct me if I'm wrong.

By no means are they "that" awful, they do have issues, but none of us are perfect. I'll give you opinion:

1. A good idea, but one which would have been better taken aiming directly at the ironwork, rather than parallel to it. Technically, it appears about 1/2 - 2/3 stop over-exposed.

2. The focus on this one is nice and crisp, which is critical for close-up and macro work, however the composition isn't in my opinion, ideal. For flowers like this, it's generally best to try and take them face on, rather than from the side, that way you capture more of the detail of the bloom. As an aside, when you're doing this sort of work, always be cognizant of your surroundings and background. In this case, yes the subject is sharp, but the DoF used to achieve that has resulted in a background which while soft is still recognizable. A larger DoF and closer position to the subject would have helped to eliminate/reduce this.

3. Very nice; slightly over-exposed (< 1/2 stop) but nothing that couldn't be fixed in post. This one should be cropped much more tightly to the subject.

Okay, a few points there, but nothing major. The secret is to take the points that are brought up and apply them to your next photo shoot. You already appear to have a basic grasp of exposure and focus, as well as an eye for the subject; it now simply remains to fine-tune that.

When you say, "ive been planning on making Photography my career for years" What have you don'e toward this? Have you studied, taken courses, or just "planned"? What aspects of photography are you interested in? Professionals tend to have specialities; journalism, landscape, wedding/event, portrait, etc. All require a basic knowledge of photography, and an in-depth knowledge of the additional skills for that particular discipline...

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary

~John

if youre questioning your passion for photography, dont make it your career. dont think your pictures are bad.

are they really that bad?:(

The photos you posted aren't "bad", but they are kind of typical, and to be honest, a little boring. That's okay. Photography is my career, and the majority of exposures I make are typical and boring too. People have seen a million photo of flowers, bugs, and close-ups of rusting metal. You're going to have to work hard to make these subjects interesting to the average viewer. Try different angles, get closer, and most important of all you need to either find, wait for, or create amazing light. Mundane subject + mundane light = boring. Mundane subject + spectacular light = maybe interesting.

Don't get discouraged. Keep on shooting as long as you enjoy it. Don't worry about making photography a career at first; just make it part of your life. Take some classes. I recommend Drawing 101 and Design. It doesn't matter if you don't think you can draw, these beginning art classes are about learning to see how the 3D world converts into 2D, composition, tones, colors, etc....

Are you really into flowers, dragonflies, and rusted metal? I mean I know they are interesting, but what really turns your crank? What are your hobbies, interests, etc...? Don't just photograph stuff to be taking pictures. Photograph the stuff in your life and world that really, really interests you. That's where you will find inspiration.

They are not bad, but they are very centered, I would sugest that you do some reading on composition.
The way a photo is composed and lit can take one subject and invoke different emotional responses, depending on where in the frame it is placed.

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs32/i/2008/204/b/a/iron_by_photo_graphs.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs32/i/2008/204/8/f/daisy_by_photo_graphs.jpg

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs31/i/2008/203/3/e/dragonfly_by_photo_graphs.jpg

ive been planning on making Photography my carreer for years,
i love to take pictures of anything i can get my hands on.
but everywhere else that i post these pictures,
i get told that they are awful.
are they realy that bad?:(

I have a hard time believing that you have been planning a career in photography for years and the linked images are the fruits of your education and/or research.

If these are the first few shots you just fired off on a newly acquired camera then I would say you have a good beginners grasp of photography...

the compositional issue have already been addressed.... but i will repeat the notion that your subjects must fill the frame more...

keep at it

Those shots you took... well... I agree that they arent 'bad', but they are surprising to see after reading your post... Since you mentioned that you are interested in photography as a career, I expected more balanced shots with some type of feel to them, but all I saw were pictures... If you can take a different approach to your perspective and work the bokeh properly into your shots, I believe the subject will pop a little more and give the images some life... and yeah, I just learned this yesterday, but like others have said you want to fill in the frame with the subject a little more. Im a n00b too.. ;-)

Good luck!

By no means are they "that" awful, they do have issues, but none of us are perfect. I'll give you opinion:

1. A good idea, but one which would have been better taken aiming directly at the ironwork, rather than parallel to it. Technically, it appears about 1/2 - 2/3 stop over-exposed.

2. The focus on this one is nice and crisp, which is critical for close-up and macro work, however the composition isn't in my opinion, ideal. For flowers like this, it's generally best to try and take them face on, rather than from the side, that way you capture more of the detail of the bloom. As an aside, when you're doing this sort of work, always be cognizant of your surroundings and background. In this case, yes the subject is sharp, but the DoF used to achieve that has resulted in a background which while soft is still recognizable. A larger DoF and closer position to the subject would have helped to eliminate/reduce this.

3. Very nice; slightly over-exposed (< 1/2 stop) but nothing that couldn't be fixed in post. This one should be cropped much more tightly to the subject.

Okay, a few points there, but nothing major. The secret is to take the points that are brought up and apply them to your next photo shoot. You already appear to have a basic grasp of exposure and focus, as well as an eye for the subject; it now simply remains to fine-tune that.

When you say, "ive been planning on making Photography my career for years" What have you don'e toward this? Have you studied, taken courses, or just "planned"? What aspects of photography are you interested in? Professionals tend to have specialities; journalism, landscape, wedding/event, portrait, etc. All require a basic knowledge of photography, and an in-depth knowledge of the additional skills for that particular discipline...

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary

~John

i have been interestd in photography for a very long time,
but i havent had the money too get a good camera, or take courses on it yet.
the camera that i used is my parents,
it was my first time using it, and trying too figure out how too make it work right.
i am planning on taking a course in photography within the next year, but its just hard because it costs quite a bit of money, but im working on it.
cause too be honest, me and my family don't have that much money.
expecially too spend on things like that,
but i just got a new job and im planning to start a course soon.
(Do you know of any good courses that are worth taking?)
and also, thanks alot everyone for telling me how to improve on everything, everyone else that has seen it have just told me that they are "absoltley awful" and "hideous" thats why i was doubting that i could make it as a carreer in the near future. im not doubting that i love doing it, just that i am any good at it, but thanks alot, i do agree with the things you said, and ill keep them in mind and try again.
and i look forward to youre input next time!

They're not great, but they are absolutely not awful.

Other than the 1st one (sorry, i didnt like this one at all), they are a clear step above the typical snapshots that most people take. The 3rd is definitely the standout here and could have turned out very well if you just got a bit closer.

Just wondering, what kind of equipment are you using? What body, what lens?

And regarding photography classes - IMO you don't need them, especially if you're short on money. Save that money on a camera and at least one quality lens. Just pick up a few good books from the library and read all you can read online. And shoot shoot, shoot, and shoot some more after you're tired of shooting. Learn from your mistakes, and from your successes. Take some time to look over other professional photographs and learn from them. Post up your pics here for C+C and you'll be improving in no time.

I don't think they're "bad" as you call them. Learn to master Photoshop and you will be able to improve your images significantly. Also, if you have a passion for something, don't let anyone else discourage you! I don't. :) Good luck and have fun while you're at it.

What I would do is crop both 2 and, 3. Numbe 1 does nothing for me at all, your DoF was just too shallow for the subject. Best thing you can do is scrimp and, save with your new job to get a good camera and, some good glass. Then it is all a matter of practice, practice, practice. You are lucky starting in the digital age, it is cheaper than in the old film days once you get your intial expenses put of the way.

They're not great, but they are absolutely not awful.

Other than the 1st one (sorry, i didnt like this one at all), they are a clear step above the typical snapshots that most people take. The 3rd is definitely the standout here and could have turned out very well if you just got a bit closer.

Just wondering, what kind of equipment are you using? What body, what lens?

And regarding photography classes - IMO you don't need them, especially if you're short on money. Save that money on a camera and at least one quality lens. Just pick up a few good books from the library and read all you can read online. And shoot shoot, shoot, and shoot some more after you're tired of shooting. Learn from your mistakes, and from your successes. Take some time to look over other professional photographs and learn from them. Post up your pics here for C+C and you'll be improving in no time.

is this verson of the forst one a little better?
since its up closer..

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f318/photographs--/dragonfly.jpg

On the dragonfly, try cropping to one side. Make it look like the dragonfly has space in front of him. Gives a little different look. And I agree with several previous posters, get a decent beginner camera and some decent glass. Read all you can find and shoot literally thousands of shots. Put the best up for C and C and I promise you'll get better. Whether or not you go pro is yet to be determined but you need to keep shooting and enjoy yourself.

Most reactions

Back