Are you a "chimper"?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Andrew Boyd, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you chimp? (As in, shoot, review, shoot again....) Or is this something that you think good photographers don't need to do or want to do? I've written a post about this on my blog and would be interested in how people view this activity....
    Thanks!
    Andrew
    TheDiscerningPhotographer

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Chimping is not just reviewing the shots, it is also showing them off to whoever is next to you and going, "Ooh! ooh! Ahh! Ahh! Eee! Eee! Ahh!," you know, like a chimpanzee. At least that is the definition of chimping that I learned on sportsshooter.com.

That being said, I don't spend much time reviewing images in the field except to check the histogram and or 'blinkies' for the correct exposure. Excessive reviewing in the field is detrimental to getting good results I think,and besides, everything looks good at LCD size.

Here is the video that dates back to the origin of the word 'chimping'.
    SportsShooter.com - Chimping EXPOSED! (Part 1)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  3. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I learned photography in the film days so there was no "chimping" with 35mm gear.

However, I don't know anyone who didn't use polaroid backs with their Medium or Large format gear to set up shots with lights. A form of "chimping" I would say.

But I'm still surprised when I go to weddings and the photographers are constantly reviewing their shots. It seems to me that if you know what you're doing (and wedding photogs should) you wouldn't need to that.

As a learning tool though, why not? The possibility to do it is there so why not use it?

4. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why not, that's the beauty of digital - you CAN! :D

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's sort of the way I feel. I leaned on 35mm film so having a preview just wasn't an option.

However, being able to view your shots instantly is an amazing tool to have in your hands...and I think it would be pure folly not to take advantage of it. So I do spend some time checking my shots as I go.
    The first thing to check is always the exposure, primarily using the histogram. But after a couple shots, that usually isn't an issue unless the light changes drastically. So then I'm checking for facial expressions, eyes closed etc. Sometimes you can take 12 shots before getting one that stands out, with a great expression and other things falling into place. Sometimes you get it right away...but if you don't know...you might spend too much time trying.
    I really don't like to 'spray and prey' (firing the camera in burst and hoping for the best). I prefer to shoot a couple, trying to capture that moment, then check and try again if I didn't get it.

I do try to be aware of not spending too much time checking the LCD...especially for posed shots where the subjects are waiting on me. That tends to look more and more unprofessional if you do it too long and too often.

6. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have to agree with that. At the same time I feel like I'm probably the only one there who notices it because... I'm a photographer.

7. phocus78

phocus78 TPF Noob!

Yeh I agree with cloudwalker....shouldnt need to do it...have confidence in knowing what your doing.

8. robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I sure do. Sometimes random pictures look like they're going to leap off of my LCD. I can't stand it. I have to show someone.

9. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Occasionally, I do. Sometimes just to check. It can save your arse sometimes, if you're working incredibly fast, and there's a chance of bumping the mode dial and changing to the completely wrong mode.

But showing them to others? You kidding me? I don't want to show my images to anyone until I'm finished, and I'm only finished when I'm done my post-processing.

10. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG] I cant believe somebody actually invented a word for this. What a riot. If I spend a thousand dollars on a camera and it has that feature, I will do whatever I feel. It is my camera. If I wan to be a chimp, I will be a chimp. If I buy a car, and there is a speedometer on it, does that mean I shouldnt look at it. :lol:
    If some monkey beside me asks...what does your picture look like, I will make sure I will say..."get lost you Chimp bastard" Get your own camera. :lol:

btw...no I dont "chimp" all the time, but occasionally I will check to see if I did get a shot, cause Im curious as hell, and cant wait till I get home, to chimp on my computer.

11. Randall Ellis

Randall Ellis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I too learned on film cameras (my first camera used 127, but the idea is the same), and since I'm primarily a film photographer I never developed (ouch!) the habit. I have nothing against those who do (with a few exceptions - see below), but I have a good idea when I make an exposure what parts of the scene are going to be what values in the negative. I expect that checking each shot would be a good learning tool for those who are not as familiar with their gear, the settng, etc. No waiting for the film to come back to check it against your notes and what not.

The one time that I was bothered by this type of activity was a professional photo shoot (a graduation) where the lighting was the same for every exposure, the people stood on a mark, and the person taking the shots played with every, single, one - EVERY, ONE, holding up the progress and causing the event to run over by almost 45 minutes. In that case the person in question should have set their equipment, flashes, bounces, umbrellas, whatever, before hand, tested it on an assistant or volunteer, and then worked the job knowing that everything was already configured properly.

- Randy

12. robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd call that "monkeying around" rather than "chimping"