Are you a "chimper"?

^ Love it Chiller!

I am a part time chimper. When I'm shooting my kid's games, I'll check a couple to make sure the exposure is good and then if I think I caught some great action I'll check again. I think anyone who doesn't is a fool for not using all the tools at their disposal.

Unless you are Rockwell and every shot is perfect.

Humm.. Isn't checking what you've done, just part of the process of getting what you want ?

No problem here ......... anyone got a banana ?

r

I really only chimp it when Im setting up my flash. I cant seem to get in the habit of letting the flash and, camera decide the settings for me.

i chimp. But only to look at my histogram

I really only chimp it when Im setting up my flash. I cant seem to get in the habit of letting the flash and, camera decide the settings for me.

I find that odd given the flexibility of Nikon's CLS. iTTL is a wonderful, wonderful thing, most especially when working under a time constraint. Not worthwhile for getting consistent exposures, but great for getting the shot and moving on quickly.

Chimp...hehehehehe (I like Chillers second post here :p)

Well if Im shooting sports or using the flash...I only check my LCD for the first shot or two to make sure I have the exposure good.

If Im shooting something that generally doesnt move (like flowers and landscapes and stuff like that) I check the LCD after everyshot, it be stupid not to! Like if I forgot to set the ISO back to 200 from last night when I had it at 800 or 1600, Id have NOTHING to work with when I got it on the computor if I had not "chimped" (If shooting sports and I screw up a few shots, Ive got about 200 more to replace it. No big deal)

Dude, I "chimp" like no ones business...
I'm like Ashton from the Nikon commercials when he shows his camera to the girls and goes "oh yea! Got it!" (or something like that)

I find that odd given the flexibility of Nikon's CLS. iTTL is a wonderful, wonderful thing, most especially when working under a time constraint. Not worthwhile for getting consistent exposures, but great for getting the shot and moving on quickly.
I dont work under time consrtaints. I have tries CLS and iTTL and, for me I didnt like the results. I know heaven forbid that I not use all of the features of the cameras, which is the reaction I get from alot of people but, Im a hands on kind of guy.

I dont work under time consrtaints. I have tries CLS and iTTL and, for me I didnt like the results. I know heaven forbid that I not use all of the features of the cameras, which is the reaction I get from alot of people but, Im a hands on kind of guy.

Nah, fair enough. If you don't work in quickly changing situations, iTTL quickly loses it's appeal. Manual is the only way to guarantee consistent exposures, and allows you to vary the shooting angle quite a bit too without having the lighting change on you. I shot in really fast changing situations before I started volunteering at the Ubyssey, and now that I am, I might have seconds to get a shot (15min if I'm lucky and doing a profile, but even then, these people want to get it over with and back to work usually).

Most reactions

Back