Are you born with it?

jackiex_x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would love to be able to take artistic shots like you all here. But is it something you learn our are you born with the ability of spotting a good shot? I think the most expensive equipment in the world would be wasted if you didn't have a keen eye.

I would love to be able to take artistic shots like you all here. But is it something you learn our are you born with the ability of spotting a good shot? I think the most expensive equipment in the world would be wasted if you didn't have a keen eye.

Some people are definitely more intuitive when it comes to creativity and composition. Sadly, I have to work at the ideas and look at a setting from several different angles. It does get quicker and easier with practice.

I think maybe you're born with the desire to be creative? Spotting a good shot comes from looking at, studying, and taking tens of thousands of shots. There are a lot of influences on the viewer's perception of a shot (in addition to whatever technical considerations need to be perfectly executed). Spending the time to learn about the effects of composition, color, light/shadow, etc... and the psychology of visual communication is what makes it possible to spot amazing shots. The more you do it, the better you get, because you're constantly re-evaluating your own work against new stuff that you learn. Every time I go out shooting, something about my technique changes because of little details I remember from my last round of processing. Something that feels like an amazing shot when I take it may turn out to have flaws I never considered while I was out... but I'll certainly consider them next time.

Yes. Everyone has inate abilities, that like everything in life, falls on a scale. Zero being no talent and 10 being genius talent. Everyone falls within that range. Education and practice can bring out, and grow these abilities. But rarely can a 1 turn into a 10.

There's also the philosophical side...

I feel like Lao Tzu has had more influence on my photography than Bryan Peterson, if you know what I mean.

Those that have some inate photography ability (eye) sometimes come up short, because at some point the path to the next level requires having a technical understanding of how a camera, lens, and photograph work.

By the same token there have been, and are, many talented photographers out there unable to make any money doing photography because they don't know anything about business, marketing, and promotion.

While I agree with Bitter a 1 can't become a 10, I'm living proof a 1 can become a 7 or 8.

Yes. Everyone has inate abilities, that like everything in life, falls on a scale. Zero being no talent and 10 being genius talent. Everyone falls within that range. Education and practice can bring out, and grow these abilities. But rarely can a 1 turn into a 10.

I thought like bitter until I read this book.....Amazon.com: Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else (9781591842248): Geoff Colvin: Books

Practice....Practice....and Practice. That will get you where you want to be. It has to be the kind of practice that challenges you otherwise you wont improve. But a 1 can become a 10 if you put in the time.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree. I think anyone can do anything if they immerse themselves in it. The problem, I think, most people have is they get into something, get pretty good at it then get bored with it and do something else. They never become masters at anything.

"What I lack in talent, I make up with practice."

A good saying, but I don't know from who. Anyway, I've always learned fast. Technical/theoretical stuff come easy to me. Practically, however, comes a more slowly. I'm studying chemistry, and only this spring my lab partner decided to change lab party as I was so clumsy... I, erh, may, accidentally, have tumbled over the bottle of concentrated sulfuric acid.........

I agree. I think anyone can do anything if they immerse themselves in it. The problem, I think, most people have is they get into something, get pretty good at it then get bored with it and do something else. They never become masters at anything.

Yeah to get really good, it gets really hard. And sometimes its just not enough fun. For me thats most sports....chemistry....angry birds.....
But for photography I will go stand in the ocean all night or climb mountains for practice getting the shots I want :p

Read something somewhere supposedly attributed to golfing great Arnold Palmer. When he made a great shot, someone mentioned how it was a lucky shot, and Arnold replied "Yes, the more I practice, the luckier I get". Or something along that.

Practice, practice, practice!

Most reactions

Back