Are you kidding me!?

lucki85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have my camera out for about 1.5 seconds and I managed to break my 50mm lens. I'm pretty sure anyway. I dropped the lens, and the glass part popped out (If you were looking at the lens, that part...I guess). I'm really ticked right now, and hoping maybe this is some really cool feature and it just pops right back in (wishful thinking huh?) SO now what? It's a Canon and I know it has a year warranty, but I am pretty sure this doesn't apply. Do I need to take it somewhere to get it fixed? Can it be fixed? Would it be cheaper just to buy a new lens? This totally sucks. I do have another lens to use, but this is really my favorite. Thanks.

If it's still under warranty, I would take or send it in...either back to where you bought it from or back to Canon.

If it's not covered...then ask for an estimate to get it fixed...but keep in mind that it's not too expensive to just buy a new one.

Really, this is a cheap lens...so you can't expect it to take much of a beating. More expensive lenses will usually have a better build quality and they can survive the odd fall.

Well, it's your fault that you dropped the lens. I have never tried that :p (a and never will). If the lens was worth under $150, try to fix it yourself or just buy a new one. If the lens was worth more than $250, take it to your Canon service center and see what they say. They usually charge a $100 fixed rate fee and take a 2-3 weeks to repair. If the price was in between, use your own judgement. The repaired lens will be as good as new but if you will feel better with a new lens, go ahead.

Don't drop your lens.

Call local shops see if they do repair, and call canon to see if its covered.

Wow, thanks so much! It never occured to me to try not dropping my lens.
I bought it online from adorama. I think it w as only like $80, so it was cheap. I was just trying to figure out the best route to go. Thanks.

Thanks Gwag....I just checked it out and thats what I plan on doing!

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, lucki. It's my biggest fear the moment I unzip my camera bag - will I drop a lens today?

Really, this is a cheap lens...so you can't expect it to take much of a beating. More expensive lenses will usually have a better build quality and they can survive the odd fall.

Mike, could you do me a favour and link me to one of these lenses that have a good build quality? I've never seen a modern lens with a high build quality. (And I sell the things.)

If the front element popped out and it's intact, you might be able to pop it back in.

Mike, could you do me a favour and link me to one of these lenses that have a good build quality? I've never seen a modern lens with a high build quality. (And I sell the things.)
Take your pick :er:

The Canon 50mm F1.8 II is one of the cheapest 'modern' lenses you will find. The mount isn't even made of metal. The focus ring isn't very smooth and it feels like a toy. Compare it directly to the 50mm F1.4 and there is a significant difference. Compare it to any L lens and the difference is night and day.

Hmm, I didn't think of L lenses. We have one at work, I think. It's a big white telephoto. But no customer has ever asked to look at it. Now I think I'll have to. I still don't have high expectations though :p

Do you mean to tell me that Lethbridge isn't a hot bed of professional camera equipment? :er:

Heh. Yeah, photography is so very popular here because of how photogenic southern Alberta is. You should know! Every morning, I step outside and bask in the great wide, brown tableaux of windy flat nothingness. I am often overwhelmed when I am faced with the decision to either photograph another dry, brown treeless hill, or the High-Level bridge again! The photographic possibilities just overload the mind!

Why isn't photography more popular here in Southern Alberta? I have no idea!

Wee! Time to resort to abstract photography again today, because there's no other way to get an interesting photo! Wee!

EDIT: holy cow, I just went to grab some OJ from my mini fridge and a gust of wind knocked the house so hard I had to reach for the counter for balance. Geez! I'm surprised this house has survived 70 years of this!

It's not that bad down there, is it? You are fairly close to the bad lands or even the mountains to the west. Waterton lakes is fairly close...there must be plenty to shoot around there?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back