Are you kidding me!?

My '53 Chevy weighed more than my '07 Accord but which one would you drive?
Heh, very good point. But I just get the feel that old lenses feel less mass-produced, probably because they WERE less mass produced.

The Nikkor 50mm feels like it's running on thin air when I focus it, it's that smooth, but my modern lenses feel like I'm trying to focus a webcam. You know, that grating noise you get? (And I know my lenses are crap, both of them ;))

That being said, newer lenses have many technological advances nowadays. VR, more glass, various coated glasses, all improve the quality of the lens, in the same way that a modern car has many technological improvements over the old ones. But if you use an old lens, or get in a decent old car, you just get that feeling that you're really above the rest ;)

oh, and by the way, I would probably take the '53 chevvy provided it's in good condition. I'm a car nut too xD

You should have a UV filter on the front of your lenses. Helps to protect against exactly this thing!

oh, and by the way, I would probably take the '53 chevvy provided it's in good condition. I'm a car nut too xD

Well, just for the sake of comparison, cars of that era were ready for the scrap yard at 50,000 miles, 60,000 if you were real lucky. What do you expect from a modern car?

Rust, broken plastic and/or fiber glass....:mrgreen:

Well, let's see. I recently sold two Chevys, a 1995 and a 1999, both with 120,000 miles on them and many more miles to go. In 1964, I had to junk my 1960 Chevy at 50,000 miles. I bought a new '64 which went to the junk yard in 1967 with 55,000 miles.

Rust? Hell, that's one of the benefits of the current generation of cars. They don't rust at all. I had a 1956 Chevy and both front fenders rusted off the car before the car was four years old. Rust was one of the major reasons why cars didn't last in those days. One of the rear fenders completely fell off my '60 Chevy thanks to rust!

Broken plastic and/or fiberglass? Gee. Can't address that as it's never happened to me. I did have the die-cast (true junk metal, if you're not familiar with it) door handles break frequently on the cars of years ago.

Well, let's see. I recently sold two Chevys, a 1995 and a 1999, both with 120,000 miles on them and many more miles to go. In 1964, I had to junk my 1960 Chevy at 50,000 miles. I bought a new '64 which went to the junk yard in 1967 with 55,000 miles.

Rust? Hell, that's one of the benefits of the current generation of cars. They don't rust at all. I had a 1956 Chevy and both front fenders rusted off the car before the car was four years old. Rust was one of the major reasons why cars didn't last in those days. One of the rear fenders completely fell off my '60 Chevy thanks to rust!

Broken plastic and/or fiberglass? Gee. Can't address that as it's never happened to me. I did have the die-cast (true junk metal, if you're not familiar with it) door handles break frequently on the cars of years ago.

Not even five years old when I took these rust, plastic

I'm a certified auto body technition I get the pleature of dealing with trying to fix this crap, the new steel is crap in comparison, and plastic can't take a hit to save it's life......but we are so far off topic it aint funny :lol:

Not even five years old when I took these rust, plastic

I'm a certified auto body technition I get the pleature of dealing with trying to fix this crap, the new steel is crap in comparison, and plastic can't take a hit to save it's life......but we are so far off topic it aint funny :lol:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with OT!

I looked at your pics. That's nothing compared to the old days. You must be very young. You've never watched a fender completely and totally disintegrate thanks to rust. Broken plastic? The fender in you pic appears to have been struck hard, possibly by another vehicle. After accounting for inflation, it's probably less expensive to repair than the dented metal that would have occurred forty years ago.

In the mid-sixties, VW was the only manufacturer that bragged about mpg in their advertisements. You are, of course, familiar with its size and its limitations. The advertised mpg was 18! I expect that from a Caddy today.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with OT!

I looked at your pics. That's nothing compared to the old days. You must be very young. You've never watched a fender completely and totally disintegrate thanks to rust. Broken plastic? The fender in you pic appears to have been struck hard, possibly by another vehicle. After accounting for inflation, it's probably less expensive to repair than the dented metal that would have occurred forty years ago.

In the mid-sixties, VW was the only manufacturer that bragged about mpg in their advertisements. You are, of course, familiar with its size and its limitations. The advertised mpg was 18! I expect that from a Caddy today.

That fender was infact struck by a vehicle, She got cut off, but the impact was not hard. As for repair costs those plastic fenders cost more to repair, once it is that bad replacement is the fastest way, I don't know of anyone who would try plasticwelding that but any who.

At some point I am gonna have to show you the floor of my Marquis :meh: or lack there of.......

I have seen the fenders go though I'll have to see if I still have any pictures of a former roomates 78 Chevy, Sadly I know I don't have any pictures of the 91 that did it that I was asked to fix only to watch it do it again right around the fiberglass patch work. I do Know what you are saying, Automotive steel went to sht somewhere in the sixties and seventies. I have seen many vehicles from the forties and fifties with a solid coat of rust that where still strong enough to take a hit.

That fender was infact struck by a vehicle, She got cut off, but the impact was not hard. As for repair costs those plastic fenders cost more to repair, once it is that bad replacement is the fastest way, I don't know of anyone who would try plasticwelding that but any who.

At some point I am gonna have to show you the floor of my Marquis :meh: or lack there of.......

I have seen the fenders go though I'll have to see if I still have any pictures of a former roomates 78 Chevy, Sadly I know I don't have any pictures of the 91 that did it that I was asked to fix only to watch it do it again right around the fiberglass patch work. I do Know what you are saying, Automotive steel went to sht somewhere in the sixties and seventies. I have seen many vehicles from the forties and fifties with a solid coat of rust that where still strong enough to take a hit.

Admittedly, there's good and bad but I always try to factor in inflation and, having lived through the early days, I have no doubt that products are much better today. Cheers!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back