Are You Right-eyed, or Left-eyed?

I'm right eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open or one eye open, depending. It's not surprising that you can see better through a high-end body with an all-glass prism, and a larger, higher-magnification viewfinder than through a pentamirror-equipped entry level camera.

Left eye. I think because it's easier to close my right eye and leave my left open :)

Jake

I think there are online test to check your Master Eye :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left eye shut, but reading all the other opinions I'm going to try both eyes open.
Never thought about it before, but when I shoot a shotgun it's both open.

Right eye, because when a schoolboy back in Russia I was taught how to shoot with Kalashnikov every day in my after school club.
Only joking. I use my left eye mostly, I feel it more comfortable this way, probably because of astigmatism in my right one.

My new Nikon D810 arrived yesterday and I still haven't been able to take it out to play with. I got this project I have to finish for a website, but I take a break ever' once in a while to pick it up and fiddle with it.

The camera is considerably heftier than my D5300, that's for sure. But it's also shaped different - higher profile viewfinder & prism, wider, with the command dial on the left and broader, flatter surface on the right. But the thing that I noticed the most is how much clearer my field of vision is holding it to my face.

I never paid much attention to the fact that I look through the viewfinder with my left eye. When I watch videos of other photographers, I noticed now that many of them use their right eye. Now, on my D5300, that might have given me a lot more to see - I tend to keep both eyes open when shooting - but I never thought to try that out. So, I been trying out both eyeballs and, I swear, I can't seem to get comfortable using my right eye. And the scope of view looks better using my left.

The screen of the D810 viewfinder is bigger and, with my left eye, I can see the photographic area and the camera information very easily. I can see, with my right eye, much of the rest of the scene - you know, in case some monster is attacking me with a hatchet from the right (if it comes at me from the left, I'm in trouble), or maybe a bird appears and I have a chance to get a shot of it.

Made me wonder about those who shoot right-eyed and how they manage. Or just why you choose the eye you do. So, clue me in. :D

Jim
Interesting question and one I never thought about. I don't have my camera handy, so I can't even see what I usually do. Can't wait now to try it out later!

I've always found my right eye easier for photography. However years ago, shooting rifles at a fairground I found a significant improvement in my accuracy when I switched to my left eye despite the slightly awkward posture.
My eyes have changed dramatically since then, I now only need glasses for small print, while for most of my life I wore them all day...

Fortunately I can mentally switch eyes easily when they are getting different images, so I tend to keep my non shooting eye open too.

if you wear glasses go to your opticians and determine which eye is sharper,my left eye focusus much better than my right

All the good cameras have a diopter adjustment dial near the viewfinder. So, it shouldn't matter which eye is "sharper" unless you have serious vision problems that can't be corrected. I wear glasses and can adjust the diopter to either eye. I just seem to prefer using my left eye to peer into the viewfinder.

Jim

Left eye. And if you shoot left-eye... you can take advantage of "Da Grip" whereby your use your left shoulder as a support for the camera.

Having some background in photojournalism, security photography and forensics and always aware to keep my gun hand free, I've always used my right eye on the viewfinder and left eye open to be able to see the big picture. Frequently "the shot" is not where you're currently pointing the camera and with an open eye you can see and respond.

Right eye ! btw whats the difference as we have to make it our own creativity in our work

Most reactions

New Topics

Back