Arecibo Observatory

Soto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.angelsotophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was passing by Arecibo in Puerto Rico and had to stop to see this place... it's amazing..

radar1.jpg

radar2.jpg

radar3.jpg

Some information about this place:
The National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center enables research in the areas of astronomy, planetary studies, and space and atmospheric sciences by providing unique capabilities and state-of-the-art instrumentation for data collection and analysis, together with logistical support
to users.

NAIC initiates and supports progress in the above research areas by maintaining a scientific staff whose members develop individual research programs, provide assistance to visiting scientists, and extend available scientific opportunities
by developing and implementing plans for future enhancements to NAIC facilities
and instrumentation.

NAIC strengthens scientific and engineering research potential by supporting activities which provide undergraduate and graduate students with opportunities to further their education. NAIC contributes to the general understanding and appreciation of science by initiating and participating in public education and outreach programs.

Use of the Arecibo Observatory (AO) operated by NAIC is available on an equal, competitive basis to all scientists from throughout the world to pursue research in astronomy, planetary studies and, space and atmospheric sciences. Observing time is granted on the basis of the most promising research, as acertained by peer review of proposals by external referees

It is HUGE!
A person can walk through those doors in that dome which "floats" (ok: is suspended) above the "bowl"? Enormous!

This looks just like the final scene in 007 Goldeneye! Is this where they shot it?

Number two stands out the most for me - fantastic place - I'm wondering what it would look like with some under-exposure on it!!

David

wow! thats really BIG!

Woah, cool shots! The way you captured the rich green of the jungle around the observatory in #1 stands out for me. Great job getting the detail of all that metal in #2.

Just checked on imdb- both Goldeneye & Contact (jodie foster movie) were shot there.

Nice shots ... is it lighted at night? I bet some late afternoon directional lighting would even add more impact to images which are already gripping.

Gary

Most reactions

New Topics

Back