Arial Photos

umongous

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going to Montana with my girlfriend to visit my parents. They live in a VERY rural town of about 300 people. A friend has offered to take us up in his plane to see the town from above. My questions are these:

What lens and filters would you recommend? I will use black and white film, and have a cannon rebel with a 28-70mm lens. Will this be all I need?

How can I get a nice grain effect that doesn't look like I just used cheap film, but will not destroy the picture.

I am thinking of buying a holga medium format camera. They are cheap and I like look they produce. This might be one of the cameras I take with me. Any advice to taking pictures out of a plane would also be helpful.

Ive heard that one use for infrared film is arial photography, it cuts through the haze. So thats one idea.

Also a UV filter to cut through the haze if your using regular film.

Since your flying you would probably want a faster shutter speed, but im not sure how the light meter would work in the air to the ground, I would assume youd need 400 or 800 film for that, but I could be wrong, since ive never done this. But this is something I am interested in. An ultra light would be an interesting toy for this hobby, hehe.

As for lenses, depends how much you want to zoom in on your subject. Also the more you zoom in, the more the vibration from the plane may blur the picture. the good thing about the medium format camera is you dont hav eto zoom in to much, and you can crop/enlarge the medium format negative to give the impresion of a zoomed in picture, more than a 35mm negative.

You say holga's are cheap now, about how much are they? Also how much is the negatives for it?

This is the Holga 120sf am thinking about getting.
https://www.adorama.com/CZHF.html

I am going to a small town in the poorest county in Montana called Ekalaka. I had the pleasure of wasting 4 years of my life there when I was in high school. For the most part I hate the town, but my parents are there and it would be nice to see my mom and dad more then once a year. It does have a nice area with some cool sandstone rock formation called medicine Rocks.

It looks like I will get a UV filter and an orange filter. I read on another post that orange help with B&W pictures of stone and rocks.

Thanks for the advice gerry

Unless you're looking for special effects I don't think you need to bother with infra-red. I've shot some arial stuff before and my regular gear with 400asa worked just fine. As mentioned, you may want to get a hold of a longer lens for some variety.

This is an honest Q. Not trying to cause probs...

What is the attration to the holga. I have talked to ppl who swear by them, and have used one myself. Still cant get my head around it.

Good luck with your shoot Montana Cool place to take photos I have lived here for 6 years and love the photo ops. You should post some pics when you get back.

Most reactions

Back