Arista EDU Ultra B&W? Anyone use it?

I use this film in 35mm bulk rolls, sheet film, and 120

It sucks in 120 because it's really curly and takes along time, (weeks/months) to relax sleeved and in the binder.

But the 35mm and sheet film varieties is amazing.

I'm going to start shooting acros in 120 for an extra 80 cents a roll.

Hmmm --- comes in 4x5 for only about $0.50/sheet.

Cool.

I've only used the 120 version.. it is crap. It's good for learning, but that's about it. Barely any contrast and seemed to scratch if you look at it wrong.. When I switched to Tmax in my Holga, it was like a night and day difference.. I haven't tried the 35mm, but my experiences with the bigger size tells me to spend a couple extra bucks for good film.

Yeah, what Bhop said. I wouldn't worry about the 35mm though bhop, I think it must be a different manufacturer. The base of the film is a completely different colour.

It does have a lower contrast than TMax, more like Tri-X. I develop with D76 and I don't mind the lower contrast, as it helps me get at the shadow detail in problem areas. I shoot slightly denser negatives than most of my peers and when I need contrast I use a higher grade of paper. My negatives got denser when I started using my sekonic L-358 handheld meter with the white ball fully out instead of the on camera meter from my Elan II like I used to. Now I rate the arista.edu 100 at 80 and it gives better results when I use the on camera instead of the sekonic (as seldom as possible)

I also find the Arista to be quite good for night shots, much better than Tmax or Tri-X or Illford and every bit as good as Plus-x. It renders more starlight in the sky out in the boonies and more light pollution glow in the city.

If you grind through film like I do, and like to shoot at night don't write off the Arista.edu "brand", just be aware that all the papers and films come from different places and you should shoot a test roll from every new format you try and (ideally) test each new lot for consistency if you're shooting a very important event.

Arista has been very good to me, in that I can now roll enough that I practically NEVER have a film drought in my fridge. It used to be, when I was buying Tmax for good lighting conditions, or Tri-X for pushing, that I would have to really be careful how many frames I shot, and when I loaded my camera.

Now I bulk roll the arista to about 20 frames per roll, 70 cents per, and budget a full roll per subject shot when I'm allowed the time (like with pets)

At 30 cents a sheet I'm using my 4x5 more than ever, and will often risk handhelds, and I bracket my shots, and try more different kinds of filters just for the hell of it. My GF's 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 graphic is also getting alot more use, as there was no way in the hell I was going to cut up sheets of TMax film at the price they went for.

The above reasons contribute to my definite respect for the arista.edu material. If I was gainfully employed and had my routine down, and time was money, I'd shoot more expensive film. But I'm a university student and arista.edu has really helped take the lens caps off and keep them off.

Most reactions

Back